Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted pics of one of these the other day and had some guys that wanted to see a write up on how to do, so here you go! Really easy thing to do that looks cool and is pretty cheap for the results.

material needed.

Nice scissors
masking tape
220 grit sand paper
gloss black spray paint
3m 90 spray glue
vise
razor blades
carbon fiber from DragonPlate Real Twill Carbon Fiber Veneer 6" x 36" 6x36 long should do the job

Start with the stock quick jack. Sand down all sides and clean with acetone or equiv.

trace out jack onto carbon fiber with marker

Cut out shape with good scissors. Slightly oversized. Dont need to be perfect here because later this will be sanded down.

Make sure to leave protective covering on carbon fiber!!

spray back of carbon fiber and first surface with 3m glue.

Place in vice with blocks to hold together for 5-10 minutes

Repeat for other side and finally repeat for mounting side. I left the back of the mounted side undone.

Sand with air sander down to metal.

Remove protective covering

Take 220 sandpaper and hand sand all edges at an angle so it looks nice and feels smooth.

Apply masking tape over all carbon fiber and trim with razor blade

Apply many thin coats of gloss black to exposed areas. 3-5 coats

Let dry for 4-5 hours

Remove masking tape!!

Finished product almost looks like a thick chunk of carbon fiber and for the price, i think its a great little mod.

This is also something you can do pretty easy while working on other things in the garage.

enjoy!

Attachments

· Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
more pics of steps

Attachments

· Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
more steps!!!:001_tongue:

Attachments

· Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
last batch:smoke:

Attachments

· Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe with heat, but did not want to risk it. Especially with gluing.

· Senior Charter Member
2,836 Posts
Be very careful working with CF. ALWAYS use a respirator when sanding CF, the dust will stay with you for a lifetime.

· FFCobra Fanatic
5,560 Posts
Damn safety police, 5 years from now they will say CF dust is good for you!!! I was thinking he could benefit from some gloves using the air grinder that close to his digits. How many times have you hit your fingertips on the bench grinder or wire wheel? I still do it almost every time I spin it up!!! By the way, the QJ's look great in carbon! I saw an all black Backdraft at Lime Rock this weekend with red QJ's and it had me thinking! Nice writeup...

Mike

· Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
basically i am pretty old school when it comes to safety. No gloves, glasses or masks... ever. Have i had stuff flung in my eye? Yea sure! Have i nicked my hand before, sure! Have i gotten stoned off my mind from glue. All night long!!

It makes you tougher and gives you man hands!

I have been working on cars since i was 10yrs old, you just learn to be careful. I am not the guy that gets pedicures and shops at tillys. :)

· Registered
796 Posts
Nice looking quickjacks Mike. Now you've given me another reason to spend some more money! Jim

· Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jim, when things settle down, come on up and we could crank out a set for ya! I will even let you wear safety glasses and mask while you watch! LOL

later!

· Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pictures of one mounted.

Attachments

· Registered
1,267 Posts
basically i am pretty old school when it comes to safety. No gloves, glasses or masks... ever. Have i had stuff flung in my eye? Yea sure! Have i nicked my hand before, sure! Have i gotten stoned off my mind from glue. All night long!!

It makes you tougher and gives you man hands!

I have been working on cars since i was 10yrs old, you just learn to be careful. I am not the guy that gets pedicures and shops at tillys. :)
Well, some did not work (more or less Careless) since 10 years old on cars. These guys watch these forums and try that at home. What they don't see is, safety goggles, gloves and respirator. Yes, that stuff is dangerous and highly toxic.
You could argue these are all adults and you are not responsible for their actions - true.

BUT, you have kids working with you on that car and YOU should be an example how to do it right.
Your kids going to school and brag about their project and be proud of it, I'm sure one or the other mate will look up that forum and see "what's up".

What they don't see is the above mentioned. With that said, I appeal on your responsibility as an adult and rethink your statements.

You had a bad teacher - don't be one.

Thanks

· Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:confused1:OMG... OK, i get it, dont post anymore on this forum. I will just go wrap my kids in bubble wrap and lock them in their rooms. :001_rolleyes:

Moderator can delete this thread. thanks.

· iBuild
5,740 Posts
Mike, thanks for the post, the CF you used comes with a finish on it already, so no need to clear coat, correct? Very cool stuff. As for safety, yea ummmm be safe!

· The Greek
3,247 Posts
Great write up and great idea!! Thanks Mike for sharing this.

By the way, make sure you put some protection on those QJ. Some kid from the neighborhood might be walking by and hit his legs on them. Do you have heat shields on your exhaust? Is your roll bar 10.69" over your noggin?
Make sure you install front and side curtains on the car so you kids or you or your wife do not get hurt if something bad happens. Make sure you buy only organic food to feed your kids (you never know, child endangerment if not???), you get my point, do not live on the edge and do not post about those dangerous situations you put your self into, because someone might try that at home!!!

What, are you complaining about others looking after your own safety? I think you will be hearing a door knock and the men in black will be doing the knocking.

Your ride looks great, keep up the hazardous....um....great work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.