Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thunderball, aka Chris Bailey, dropped off my carbon fiber dash a couple of days ago. It's BEEYOUTIFUL is all I can say. Kind of trick, too. Very solid across the entire front, much thicker than aluminum, with a substantial lower lip similar to the aluminum lip on a stock dash, but thicker and more meaty. The cool part is the "wings" which curve around at each end to tuck behind the door hinge mounts. That part of the dash is laminated thinner, so it is very flexible and easily can be curved wherever you want it. Anyhow, I took a couple of pics for the scrapbook. Then, looked at em tonight, and realized how fantastically smooth and shiny the dash face is as delivered, you can see my engine parts in it. I'll post a couple pics below.

I thought guys who were thinking about a CF dash would want to see how great these are out of the box. Now if I can just not mess it up when I drill and mount my gauges and bolt it to the car! I've ordered my hole saws and hope to have it in next weekend. Thanks Chris, you are da bomb.

· Senior Charter Member
2,836 Posts
As nice as that looks (and it looks great), I'd be concerned about bending the "wings" on the ends. The FFR carbon fiber dash comes with the wings molded in their final shape.

Be careful when you cut that stuff, the dust is quite hazardous.

3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree, gotta be careful...maybe I can do the cutting during the hurricane we're scheduled to have in the next day or so, and be sure to stand on the upwind side! In reality, I'll wear a breathing mask and stay away from the dust at the drill press.

· Charter Member
4,000 Posts
John:
I got my CF dash a few months ago from F5 and I can say it is not as nice as yours. Mine was not cut as well right in the middle of the top arch so I will have to do some fabbing and make a very small trim piece to bring it all together.
I would suggest a couple of clear coats to protect the surface from scratching.I had mine done by Jeff Miller ( Bat) and it came out looking like it was an inch thick,really nice work.
Congrats on a very nice build.
Paul

· Charter Member
1,497 Posts
John, Your dash is beautiful. Will it fit a MKI? Also, I have the lower dash console. Do you make a dash with that option as well? What is the price? Thanks, Mike

· Charter Member
2,134 Posts
I'm making a list and checking it twice, CF is coming to town, someday......besides just bought a 1966 T120 TT Bonneville.

· Registered
166 Posts
John.....that's not where it goes.

Seriously, I have one from F5 and if I had one thing to do over, it would be that dash. The quality was totally crap! Blemishes all over it, and not in the surface, in the carbon fiber.

Also, be sure to wear a mask. I can give you all the gory details on what happens if you don't.

Dean

3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. DrummerMike, I don't manufacture this thing, I got mine from Chris Bailey, known as Thunderball here on the forum. He's a CF expert, and drops by now and then to show me cool stuff he's cooked up. I love FFR, but the quality of Thunderball's dash is way beyond the dash FFR ships. I believe this dash fits Mark I and II also; since you cut your own steering shaft hole there should be no problem. This one has what looks like a foot-deep layer of clear gelcoat as the finish coat, so maintenance will be just like the exterior finish of a car.

Thanks again for the kind words and advice. I don't have any business relationship with Chris/Thunderball, I was just so stoked about this dash I thought I'd show ya. If interested in his CF stuff, send him an email at [email protected] and I'm sure he'll respond.

· Senior Charter Member
2,504 Posts
Judging by my new chin spoiler I can only imagine how amazing that must look in person. I am thinking about changing my leather dash to CF.
Chris does awesome work and deserves to have the word spread.

· FFCobra Craftsman
2,314 Posts
Again...anyone know how much these dashes sell for ?

3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sporty, just email Chris any Q's. I believe he's out of town now, but is good about getting back to you.

· Senior Charter Member
1,046 Posts
SportyBry,

Chris E mailed me awhile back with prices so I will pass on the info. The CF dashes are $355.00

3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mike, alas the "WHACK" wood dash and accessories business never got off the ground. I intended to use one of the production boards on my finished car, to showcase the beauty of thin plywood hacked into shape with crude handtools and rough eyeball measurements, but NO ORDERS ever came in after my posts regarding the dash prototype, so I gave up. Another dream shattered by grim reality. There's apparently a lot of guys out there, like Bob Mac and Chris Bailey, who demand quality and pride of worksmanship in the components they manufacture or purchase...who knew?!

Bob, I should be working on the car most of the weekend, IF we don't go visit the granddaughter in St. Augustine. Give me a call if you have some time!

· Charter Member
2,649 Posts
John,
Great seeing you on saturday. Your car is turning out awsome!I can't believe the sound of your engine with the pipes off, it just purrs or should I say Hissssss. You're doing a fantastic job with all of the really trick components.
the dash is really cool. You are going to wail at Sebring in October.
Bob Mac
FFR3981

1 - 20 of 22 Posts