Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Not a waxer
12,092 Posts
As Richard said it was an option "way back when". Mark D. told me one time how many they made but I don't remember the exact number---seems like it was fewer than 40. Mark also mentioned that the vinylester bodies of the time were heavier than they are today so in comparison to current bodies the weight savings would be less significant. I know the late Roger Stine's car was one and I think the infamous X car that Dave rolled then won with at RunN'Gun was another. I've seen two of them raw, without body prep...they were rough. Another one of those interesting bits of FFR trivia and lore!

Jeff

·
New
1,143 Posts
I thought about it when I ordered my car because it was an option then. The price was actually very reasonable, but as mentioned they were as rough as the fiberglass or more. They were reportedly like 100 lbs lighter but I don't see how because I swear my body can't weigh much over 100 pounds. Kinda wish I had done it though, just cause.

·
New
1,143 Posts
Or maybe it was the aluminum frame was supposed to be 100 lbs lighter. That was in the works at one point and I remember the first brochure I got had a picture of one of the Smiths holding the frame. Seems like the carbon body and ali frame were supposed to make for a 1500 lb roadster. Yeehaw.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Dude in Pittsburgh area had one at London CS a few years ago. He was on this forum. Forget his name, but he had a Pittsburgh Steelers (Boo!) logo for an avatar back then. Not even sure he is still active on here.

·
7,201 Posts
A few (several?) years ago I helped a new member load a car that he had bought up in the Bay area. It was in a storage unit and the build had never been started. It had a carbon fibre body. He's in the Pasadena area but I've lost track of him.

It was interesting to find an "FFR barn find" like that.

Ray

·
Registered
395 Posts
Merry Christmas everybody. There is a CF bodied FF rdstr. on Cars on Line.com. It's red w/ white stripes and listed by Midwest Car Exchange in Alsip, Ill.
I think it's been on that list for quite some time, they must want a lot of money for it. Looks like an MKI? judging from the seatbelts.
Pat

·
Charter Member
1,497 Posts
If memory serves me right, the body weighed just 51 lbs. Not including the trunk, hood and doors. I also believe at the time it was a $3000 option. It was a MKI tho. Mike

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,560 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,015 Posts
I have a friend with one and it has held up fine. (although it did take a bunch of work and $$$ to get the body/paint work finished)
He brought the car by my shop a few months ago, and it is now making over 1000hp from an all aluminum supercharged small block chevy.

Stupid fast doesn't even begin to describe the car.

·
Not a waxer
12,092 Posts
Dude in Pittsburgh area had one at London CS a few years ago. He was on this forum. Forget his name, but he had a Pittsburgh Steelers (Boo!) logo for an avatar back then. Not even sure he is still active on here.
That was Josh Benton. We used to talk via PM quite a bit but I haven't heard from him for probably a couple of years. He and his cousin got their CF bodied car as something of an unbuilt barn find also. Here's a link to one of his posts from back when he was just getting it on the road. Don't know what the status of the car is currently.

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-factory-five-roadsters/218808-made-lot-progress-weekend.html

Jeff

·
USN SEABEES RETIRED.
1,800 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
308 Posts
Met a guy that had one. He said that the body would expand and contract with temperature extremes (I saw some waviness in the body). He showed me that even with a good paint job you could see the carbon weave. Said that the additional amount of bodywork needed just to bring it to the level of the fiberglass body would make it a non-starter for most.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Jeff Miller had one of the super light FG bodies. He told me the main shell weighs 27 lbs. Yes it is very flexible.

·
Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
If memory serves me right, the body weighed just 51 lbs. Not including the trunk, hood and doors. I also believe at the time it was a $3000 option. It was a MKI tho. Mike
The retail price today would be pretty prohibitive. Besides that there is much more work in a CF body. The CF needs to be vacuum cured other wise the fiber are loose and have the same tensile as regular fiberglass plus excess weight from the resin.

Done right on the main surfaces are sandwich parts are used and all other are just under 1/8 inch thick.

Very unlikly FF5 does that again in the future.

This body was molded from an original 289 - just the Carbon Fiber in it is close to $2000. Weight with trunk, hood and doors 39 pounds...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.