Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm working on my carbon dash and I was wondering If I need to sand it or do anything before installing it,

Does it need any special care ?

Nick

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I put four coats of clear on it...if you have something clear that has a UV inhibitor/blocker it will last longer. Do a search for "carbon fiber dash" and you'll see several threads about this.
Ken

·
Junior Charter Member
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks

Nick

·
What is the speed of dark?
593 Posts
Canuck

Wet sand it all the way down, working through the grits, to 800. Shoot three to four coats of clear coat (with UV inhibitor) then wet sand to 1200. Do not skip a grit or you will see scratches under the top coat. Rub out, polish, buff and wax to a beautiful finish.

It is much easier, and ten times quicker to do all this before you cut your holes. Use some fairly thick adhesive back paper over the finished front. Lay out all your holes and use a drill press with a good sharp hole saw, or circle cutter. (I had my gauge holes water-jet cut the rest I drilled). Nine months later, I added a clock and this time used a hole saw with no problems. Take your time, use a drill presss with a slow speed and sharp tools. Oh yea! Paint the back side flat black so light won't come through.

Here is a not so good picture, but you can see the reflections. (It looks so much better in person)

·
Junior Charter Member
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,

I haven't drilled the holes yet so, I'll start with the surface finnish

Any brand of clear coat you suggest ? or just any car clear coat with UV protection will do ?

Nick

·
Senior Charter Member
2,837 Posts
Mikee,

To clarify, did you wet sand the bare carbon fiber before the first coat of clear? I would think you'd sand through the fibers.

Could you suggest a brand and item name of the clear that you used?

·
Senior Charter Member
1,056 Posts
Yes, you will sand into the fibre. No issue.

I tried the clear coat method but didn't like it. I sanded it all off. and just. buffed to a fine finish. It's not as glossy as most, but I like it.

I've had no UV issues for about 5 years and many days in the sunshine.

[ June 30, 2005, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Bob Lennon ]

·
Charter Member
842 Posts
Nick,

It may sound strange, but if you use a hole-saw and run it backwards it will eliminate the chance of the teeth catching and messing up the hole. I have done this on thin aluminum also and it works great… Good luck...

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts