Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is based on the following article (the one about getting 400hp from 1.7's, and AFR 165's)

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0307_ford/

With a similar setup--,(I plan to change the cam though), how much more would it cost to keep the EFI intact. What intake, MAF, & Injectors would be required to get similar HP gains from a stock motor. (The stock (89 gt) TB would be O.K, right? (believe 65mm)) Also, would I have to buy a new computer if I had HP in the near 400 range, or being that it's a MAF system will it make the needed (extreme) adjustments?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more thing. Their stock engine basline hp was 278 vs the 225 in it's original EFI setup. Is a dual plane intake and 4 barrel carb really worth 53 hp? (those were the only mods they listed)

Dave

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,033 Posts
EFI horsepower is more money than carb if you want to support 400 horse. You need a carb and intake for one set up. The EFI needs bigger injectors, mass air,intake,fuel pump all are more money than the carb stuff. Look at the difference in prices of the intake alone.
Jeff Hamilton

·
6,559 Posts
53 hp is a pretty nice gain from the Weiland intake and carb. More impressive is the 100 HP from the AFR 165 heads. Carb will be cheaper than EFI at about any HP if you're upgrading components from stock. Extra cost for:

Upper intake
MAS meter
Injectors
EEC/tune
Throttle body
Fuel pump
Regulator
Cold air intake

vs. carb

intake
carb
jet kit
air cleaner

The car craft article reflects a cheap why to get HP from a bone stock 5.0. Good stuff. Thanks for sharing

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,441 Posts
Remember the factory 225HP rating is installed in the car with full intake and exhaust systems and all accessories. Those engines normally dyno about 275 HP with open headers and intake. The Carb & Manifold didn't really make much difference on the stock engine. It would make a lot more difference on the modified engine. They would never have gotten 400 HP with the stock EFI.

Kevin

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, but I already understand the component differences needed. I was more interested in what specifics would have to be done. Could am explorer or gt 40 uper/lower achieve these results or would I have to go to a edelbrock or holley for that kind of power? What size injectors (24's, 30's)? How much would the required MAF cost? Would a new computer have to be purchased as these are quite expensive on fords performance website.

I would like to keep the car as green as possible (environmentally friendly), yet still attain healthy horsepower (dicotimy or what).

As far as cost, the article's part list shows a cost of $2,800, that combined with the added expense of keeping EFI intact, would I be better of with a supercharger setup in terms of power per dollar, as well as resale?

Dave

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,441 Posts
Read this article. It is a dyno test on an EFI motor like what you are proposing and gives info on all the add-ons.

http://airflowresearch.com/articles/article22/A22-P1.htm

Edelbrock has an RPM 5.0 EFI manifold which was not available when this test was done. That would be your best manifold. 30 lb-hr injectors would be best with an SCT chip.

You will have to replace everything but the Fuel Rails, Wiring Harness, and computer (Which will need a new chip if you want good drivability.

Check the Mass-Flo system advertised on the forum. It might end up being cheaper and simpler.

Kevin

[ October 23, 2005, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: KevinM ]

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
A light weight 400 hp 302 is a SUPER engine for an FFR used for street and open track..Many of us still use these donor engines with FFR 4 into 4s.

This year I kept my GT 40 X heads (stock rockers) and E cam. I replaced the EFI with a Edelbrock RPM intake, 650 Holly double-pumper and a Ford Dura-Spark ignition.

WOW! 400 more RPMs in 4th on the same straightaway. No more smoking or rough idle. Gordon estimated a gain of 25 to 40 hp without my EFI.

2006 will see this same 92 donor engine .030 over, AFR 165s and Comp cam. I know a durable light weight 400 hp 306 that can turn 6500 is a better choice than a crate truck engine.

I'm also going to pull the carbon body for a Jeff Miller (secret color) repaint and replace all the donor wiring with a new SNAP ZZ 12 mini fuse chassis harness.

My MK 1 is still a budget build barely totaling $25.

[ October 23, 2005, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Roger ]

·
Senior Charter Member
1,665 Posts
Roger,

This has been tried before. Bob Aruba's Quest for 400 HP He got to 284 RWHP and 283 FT-lb. Using 85% efficiency, that's 334 FWHP. I just pulled 267 SAE RWHP with the Edelbrock 1.9" heads and the same headers. I suspect the shorties and J pipes are limiting power on these NA engines. There was talk of dyno testing shorties against the 4 into 4's. I wonder if anyone ever did it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts