Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys a few questions

1. I have decided to go carb over EFI for my own reasons (looks, nastalgia etc...)
My donor will be a 88 gt. If I go carb, wouldn't it pass emmisions if it had to by leaning it out and using cats???

2. I will have to get the following correct?

Carb, Manifold, Manual fuel pump, Distributor.

3. I will end up buying the wireing harness that ffr offers (or a compairable one), now is the harness for the whole car or just the front half?

thanks much

pat

·
Premium Member
18,143 Posts
Emissions laws can be tough. They vary considerably from state to state, and county to county. And they seem to change from time to time. Before you turn a single bolt, go down and talk to the local emissions inspector. Tell him what your plans are, and he will guide you in the right direction. Don't take anybody's word about what will pass and what won't. You don't want any nasty surprises come inspection time.

·
Official Member of the Unofficial "First 500 Club"
3,007 Posts
You are in Massachusetts, so that "nostalgia" looking carb will not even pass the visual inspection. You are looking for constant headaches every year when it comes to getting an inspection sticker. I suppose you could drive around with a rejection sticker all summer and take your chances.

·
5,042 Posts
Item 1: pass

Item 2: correct, with maybe a few other small addons like throttle linkage

Item 3: If you order a carb kit it comes with a harness, no extra charge. This is a full harness that will run your engine, ignition, guages, lights, wpiers, heater, radio, .... everything.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I converted my '88' donor to carb and I'm very happy with the result. You might want to consider adding an MSD ignition box to your list for the extra fire power as the distributors alone don't produce nearly as powerfull a spark as the MSD does.
Also, the wiring harness, (American Auto Wire), is not specifically for your FFR. Its a universal street rod harness that includes lots of extra leads for thing you won't be using. I think I used only about half of the harness provided which was confusing at times. As many carbed cars as FFR owners are building, you'd think they would have a harness specifically for the FFR.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,399 Posts
The Painless universal harness works quite well and does include all you need( I've installed 3 of them). They only get confusing if you try to "read into it". Just land the wires exactly where they say.
Marc A

·
Official Member of the Unofficial "First 500 Club"
3,007 Posts
Originally posted by Qwik 1:
Steve said:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> that "nostalgia" looking carb will not even pass the visual inspection.
REALLY? News to me. </font>[/QUOTE]Depends on which station you go to I guess. If you go to a "by the book" station and the guy doing the test has any clue, he will certainly know that isn't emission compliant. When I began my build back in 1998, I received an email from the Registry that read the engine had to have all emission equipment that came with it during it's manufacture year. But we all know that isn't the case, as your car must pass emission requirements for the year it's registered as, which is the year you complete it and initially put it on the road. I really want to see someone pass 2004 emission requirements with a carburetor.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
I didn't see anyone address this so I'll chime in. I am using the donor intank fuel pump and a Mallory fuel pressure regulator to bring the pressure down.

Mike

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys, much to think about. i guess you are right, go talk to the state inspections station and get the scoop from them.

Too bad you can't buy inspection stickers off the internet like you can college degrees!!!

thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts