Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to run a mechanical fuel pump....any reason I can't use this for the pickup in my EFI tank, and just remove the sending unit on it? It's half the price of the other carb pickups...

Only potential issue I see is interference with the EFI sending unit.

·
Premium Member
7,232 Posts
I can't comment on the pickup, but will add a data point on the carb-conversion topic. I dumped all my efi stuff recently and wrestled with all the fuel supply questions. I ended up leaving my teeny-weenie FFR fuel lines in place as well as the 255lph in-tank pump that I've used for years. The 1/4" return line has a pressure drop of about 14-15 PSI all by itself, so even with a bypass regulator, you can't get down to pressures that are appropriate for a carb. Rather than go through the hassle of trying to run a bigger return line in a completed car, I installed a dead-head regulator in addition to the bypass regulator.

I used an Aeromotive 13301 3-65PSI bypass regulator, adjusted to just above the return line pressure drop....about 16-18 PSI. Then, off the regulated port, an Aeoromotive 13205 5-12PSI carb regulator to deliver a rock-steady 6 PSI of fuel pressure to the carb under all conditions. Works *perfectly*. :beer:

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input Wade. Looks like you and I have been doing a lot of the same research.

I did come across a few of your posts and was curious why you were making the switch after all these years as well!

From a cost perspective, seems to be about the same to add the regulators vs. the mechanical pump, pickup, etc. I already have the -6 AN lines coming off the FFR hard lines, so that should be straight forward. And of course, I can't remember if I reinstalled the mechanical eccentric when I redid the front end of my motor. I probably thought "when will I ever need this!"

If you get a chance, post some pics of your setup...thanks!

·
Premium Member
18,256 Posts
Remove the pump from your current hanger, and extend the pick up to the bottom of the tank. You could probably get away with some weighted rubber fuel line. But I would probably solder on some steel tubing.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I agree with Bob. First of all I do not think the 85 pickup will fit into the tank due to the baffles around the EFI fuel pump. So...you have 2 options if you want to keep the EFI tank. #1 Purchase the pickup designed to replace the EFI pump or #2 do as Bob suggested and pull the EFI pump out and remove the only the EFI pump from the brackets. Then get a piece of metal line (it is either 5/16 or 3/8) that is the same diameter as the rubber hose that the EFI pump attached to and form it to fit in place of where the EFI pump was. You have now converted your EFI pickup to a mechanical pickup.There used to be a website carbdford.com that outlined the conversion of a mustang from EFI to carb and there might have been a photo or drawing there. I will try to find a photo for you to look at.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm not sure if this would be of any use, but I have an efi pickup for an external pump that I am not using.

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys...I forgot about the potential interference with the baffles. What I liked about it was that it was 3/8", so it would match the new line...

I was on carbdford.com, they make reference to the mod...but no pics.

Thanks for the help!

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could be...can you send me a pic? Would like to see the end fittings. Thanks.

I'm not sure if this would be of any use, but I have an efi pickup for an external pump that I am not using.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.