Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
FFR raodaster Owner
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am coverting from EFI to carb. Would like some help with carb and distributor selection before I buy.

95 cobra short block (E303 cam?, stock crane energizer lifters)
Edelbrock aluminum heads 1.90s
Edelbrock performer RPM high rise upper intake

How many CFM? I was going to stick with Edelbrock or Holley...

Whcih distributor will work - I am looking at the MSD but I don't know about the steel vs. brass vs. cast gears

I am going to run my fuel pump with an aeroquip regulator to redueced to pressure.

thanks
steve

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
600 or 650 Holley or Quick Fuel double pumper. Stay away from Edelbrock carbs. Many reports of not getting them to run well on these cars. Pretty sure you need a steel distributor drive gear with that cam.

·
Always changing something
223 Posts
I think for carb selection I would look at a HOLLEY 670 street avenger vacuum secondary, or a 600 cfm double pumper. I have a 650 Holley Ultra DP on my 351 that I really am happy with. It pulls all the way to then6000 rpm red line and has really good street manners, but with a 302 you don't need quite as much carb.
Assuming you are running both centrifugal and vacuum advance you could use any one of many available distributors - I had good luck with a Pertronix "Flamethrower" but replaced it with a MSD with a Programmable box after it sheared a drive gear roll pin.
You have to match your dizzy gear to your cam (steel to steel, CI to CI) or you can use a bronze or composite gear with either type of cam if you don't mind changing the dizzy gear every few thousand miles (ask me how I know this)

·
FFR raodaster Owner
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input - so it looks like I will go with the Holley street avenger 670CFM and the MSD 83521 with the steel gear... this should be the same gear on my curtrent MSD distributor for EFI. Seems like 90% of this project is going to be wiring or at least removing wiring... boy the engine compartment looks empty with the harness and EFI stuff. I may have to start poishing stuff now since you can see it.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Search "vacuum vs mechanical secondaries" and be prepared to read for awhile. It's a widely discussed topic. Check it out before you finally decide.

I've had both on my Mk3, and I'm running a double pumper Quick Fuel SS-650. Not even close. So you can see which side of the discussion I landed on.

·
Always changing something
223 Posts
I agree with EdwardB. I had a Holley 670 Vacuum secondary on my Mk3 before changing to the 650 Ultra double pumper. I never could get the secondaries to open up just the way I wanted them to. Now I control the secondaries with my right foot, and get a nice little kick from the extra squirters as well.
Light car, big engine, manual trans = Double Pumper

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,655 Posts
I run a Holley 600 DP, Mallory Unilite distributor, and a Crane HI-6 ignition system.

Been bulletproof, adjustable, and easy to work on. 24,000 miles

·
Registered
232 Posts
thanks for the input - so it looks like I will go with the Holley street avenger 670CFM and the MSD 83521 with the steel gear... this should be the same gear on my curtrent MSD distributor for EFI. Seems like 90% of this project is going to be wiring or at least removing wiring... boy the engine compartment looks empty with the harness and EFI stuff. I may have to start poishing stuff now since you can see it.
PM sent

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I really like my Crane Pro Curve dist, QF SS650MS and Crane HI-6 ignition. The dist has 27 advance curves you can select through 2 small rotary switches on the front of the dist (see pic, small white switches beside the vac port) same for the rev limiter on the HI-6 box, both are very easy to set/adjust, takes 2 seconds. The QF is also very adjustable with both Idle and HS air bleeds, Idle Feed and Power Valve Restrictors. I do not believe the Holley SA has any of these (all of these passages are drilled vs having screw in jets/bleeds (see carb pic, those 8 brass jets/bleeds on either side of the squirters are drilled passages on the SA) so I would highly recommend the QF vs a Holley SA. If you really want to go with the SA PM me and I can send you my old one to try. My 2 cents....Scott
Auto part Engine Fuel line Automotive engine part Vehicle
Engine Auto part Fuel line Carburetor Automotive engine part

·
section 8
5,135 Posts
Did not like my avenger carb or the msd dizzy . Switched to EFI . If I were to go carbs again definately a double pumper as far as the dist a reman unit from an 85 gt mustang has the right gear, is electronic and has a vacuum advance and msd make the connector wire to hook it into the msd box. I am sort of biased toward the factory stuff very durable .. Bob

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Jumping in here.

I have a distributor from a roller 351 that had a stock roller cam, part number f4te 12127-aa

It's from an efi truck.

Can I use that with my levy comp custom grind roller cam in my carbed 408? Same block the distributor came out of.

Thanks all and sorry about the hijack.

Vic

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
With an msd 6al box by any chance?

Don't get me wrong, I can spell pretty good, but this entire electrical issues from tail lights to headlight is dumbing me down!

Vic

·
Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
I have a '94 SVT 302 that is now a 347. I used a Holley 650 double pumper with mechanical choke and a refurb'd late 60's FoMoCo mechanical advance dual point distributor converted with a Pertronix ignition (firing through a Pertronix Flamethrower coil). Very simple and old-school set-up, but reliable. I do plan on carrying a spare Pertronix ignition module, though.

Also, I have the Ford Motorsports F303 cam. With all of the billet steel Ford cams, you'll need to use a steel gear.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,916 Posts
Not to rain on the parade... But, there seems to be a very high number of MSD failures reported here.

I would also stay away from vacuum secondaries on such a light car.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The msd 6al box I have is years old and worked great on its last use. I believe the boxes that fail do so new or within the first 6 months.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.