Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys have or used a tilt bed trailer? I'm considering getting one. I like the idea of no ramps.

The only drawback I see is the cost, they are quite a bit higher than the beaver tail or flat beds.

Thanks

Tony

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,700 Posts
I used one long ago and really liked for the same reason you stated.they can be a problem for a car w/ a long front overhang cause the valance/spoiler hits the bed before the wheels do. But for a Cobra that shouldn't be a problem. Can you test load your car before purchase just to be sure? The other option I like are the ramps that are permantly hinged at the back of the bed.you see a lot of farm,lawn equipment trailers set up this way.yep, they are kind of ugly when in the upright travelling position but really easy to use.that's why guys who load/unload many times per day use them.

·
ChickenCobra
190 Posts
Tony :
I purchased my dual axle, tilt bed trailer from a guy that used it on his farm. I too liked the idea of NO RAMPS ! Works Great, you just have to go EASY when approching the balance point. Also it may require a more FORWARD positioning of the vehicle for safe towing ! In other words make SURE you have enough WEIGHT on the tongue. Finally, make sure you weld "D" hooks both front and rear for proper tiedowns. Happy trailering !!

·
Senior Charter Member
565 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I'll be hauling more than the Cobra, so I want to get it right the first time.

What about the trailer length? Comments?

Thanks

Tony

·
Junior Charter Member
746 Posts
Hi Tony,

I am a racer and tend to race alone with little or no pit crew. I have used both trailers. The tilt deck is great for cars/equipment with low ground clearance. What dislike, is if you are alone you must drive vehicle up trailer, stop, get out and lower ramp. Not easy or safe.
Just my experience.
Minimum 20 ft.

Troy

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I have used one quite a few times and it is very easy to use as long as the car is running. If you break something it will be quite a problem getting it back on the trailer due to the tilt. Because of the angle I am not sure how you would even winch a car on one of these due to the low ground clearence.

·
Senior Charter Member
565 Posts
I've had to unload the cobra alone. A winch remedies that problem. I've also loaded and unloaded a 79 Trans Am with no issues.

Good luck.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good point about the winch if the car is not running, I did not think of that. But you would face the same problem with any trailer, somehow you gotta get the car up on to it. I could also see where if the tilt bed had a winch mounted on the end, it would try to lift the front of the car before it started going up the trailer.

·
Senior Charter Member
198 Posts
You would face the problem of needing the winch with anything that tilts or has ramps. The enclosed trailers are low enough to the ground and the doors that are the ramps are at a very small incline so that the car can be push into it very easily.

Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts