Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After entering a few Car Shows & having a great deal of confusion as to what class to put me in. I generally request the 1960's Ford Street Class, & have taken many 1st places & best of show awards... yesterday at a rather large local show (2300 cars) they wouldn't allow me into the "Manufactured Class" because I was a "Kit Car".

They put me into a "Special Interest Class" I now have the dubious distinction of being that Special Interest-1st class winner.

My competition was: 2 sand rails, a dune buggy, 2 old beat-up VW based kits, a customized 60's vintage Hearst complete w/coffin & a dummy body, a 2 seater sprint car, 2 customized golf carts, 2 motorized 4WD toy cars, an an-fib-car, an old Nova converted to be a tractor puller, a lawn tractor with a V-6 motor & other misc. pieces of automotive related crap.

I was embarrassed to even be in the same area & pulled out early to another area...they called me to let me know I'd won 1st place & to come pick up my trophy! Holy S--t!

What classes do others request at car shows? Most of the 30's coupes you see at the shows are fiberglass kits & they don't seem to have any problems getting entered into "Street Machine Classes" Yesterday was enough to keep me away from any more shows.

It's a kit...but it sure looks like the real thing!"

[ September 12, 2004, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: snakebit99 ]

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, touched it up but rubbed thru to primer while trying to sand/smooth it out with 1200 paper & ended up having to repaint the entire right side, stripe to stripe. Glad I still had a 1/2 gallon of paint..all for a 1 1/2" gouge. Good old base coat/clear coat, wish for the lacquer days when you could just spot it in!

[ September 12, 2004, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: snakebit99 ]

·
4.6 Terminator Trailblazer
1,743 Posts
Tell em it's a real one, maybe that will get you into the right class :D

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,997 Posts
Down here in the Carolinas they usually have a kit car class. That's where I put mine. It's funny. I'll go to a show and be in the kit car class. Over in the '60s Ford class I'll typically see a Superperformance/Unique/ERA and once a continuation Shelby. Many times I've walked over to these guys, looked at their cars, and ask when they were built. I get a lot of huffin' and puffin' and justification as to why they belong in the class they've chosen :confused: .

Rick Williams

·
Junior Charter Member
293 Posts
Well, alot of the Hot Rods out there now are fiberglass kits. Just raise a stink about them next time!

At the shop I work at there is a "33 3 window ford" being biult. It has a new chassis, a chev create motor and a fiberglass body! Ya it will be shown as a real Ford, and so should your Cobra!

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
It has a lot to do with honesty....
I entered a local car show...there was one other Cobra , a kit from a different manufacturer...On the windsheild , the tag said "1966 Shelby Cobra".
My windshield tag said "1965 FFR Cobra Replica"...
I don't know if it made the other guy feel like a big shot , but I would be uncomfortable lying about the origin of my car....I was there for the fun , and comraderie of other car nuts like me...not to impress the masses.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The sign on my windshield ALWAYS states: 1965 FFR Cobra replica, I've never presented my car as anything other than what it is...never gotten any flack from any of the other Ford guys for showing with them, even the guys with the Shelby GT clones. The problem seems to be with the show officials not knowing where to put you & forcing you to go into other vague classifications. We don't have any KIT CAR classes here yet. I'll be going into another big show next weekend...we'll see where they put me this time.

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
Snakebit99,

Look at the bright side, at least they didn't call you to come pick up your second place trophy!

To lose to a 4wd motorized "ride-on" toy would be a big kick to the "jewls".

-dan

·
Junior Charter Member
892 Posts
I put 1966/2004 Ford Cobra on my registrations. It is a replica of a Cobra (true), it is powered by a Frod engine (true), it is a 1966 according to DMV (true), and I completed it in 2004 (true) so none of what I say is a lie.

I will NEVER call it a Shelby and ALWAYS correct anyone that does. It is not a Shelby and he had nothing to do with my car. I would not disgrace the man or his legend with my car.

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
Several of the car shows I entered had a class specifically for Cobras - real and replicas. Othertimes, I was put into all cars 1965-1970. Each show is different.

2FAST

·
Premium Member
18,143 Posts
Your best bet is to be placed in a class whithout any other Cobras or old Mustangs. Your car is unique, and draws a lot of attention. If you're in a crowd with 6 other replicas, it's hard to stand out.

As for designation, I proudly state that it's a replica, and I built it myself.

·
Registered
246 Posts
When I pulled into the AACA show I entered this weekend, the old guy at the gate said 'I hope you know what class you're in, cause I don't have a clue." I looked at the sheet and either 'street machines' or 'sports cars' seemed to fit best. Every show is different. I think the important thing is just to have a good time and make a few new friends.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,056 Posts
I've got a whole corner full of trophies. It's the best place to grow cobwebs and besides, spiders have to live somewhere anyway don't they.

So as an advocate of low cost housing for our multi-eyed anachroid friends, keep entering car shows.

I like to go to them to see the hardware, but I don't bother entering as a contestant any more.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,458 Posts
At the three car shows I run, here's how I do it:

At my township's general car show, if any Kit's show up, I usually place them in "Special Interest".

At my club's annual show, and The annual ford weekend at Raceway Park, Englishtown NJ, I have a specail class for the repli-snakes.

Generally, if I am asked, I suggsest special interest, since the cars have no real history, as compared to a Mustang, for example.

My .02

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
in Oregon, we enter in different classes:
- Best 60-66 (all cars)
- Best Convertible
- Best Muscle Cars
- Best Sports Cars
Our club usually wins one or more if we stay the time. Many times, though, we bail out and drive. More miles that trophys at this point.

I always say on the windshield paper:
Year: 1965
Make: FFR
Model: Roadster

People always ask a million questions. We can usually only talk to one at a time, so some of us have made display boards, like:

At a 600-car show in Sherwood this year, Allen English won Best Muscle Car, while at the same show, parked a few FFR's over, old 3850 won Best 60-66. Here is Allen (ACE):

No one ever questions what class at the shows here. Maybe because they are not as competitive as your shows, Larry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts