Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I left work around 11.15, luckily my boss (me) is an understanding guy. Worried all the way home (45 minute drive). In all that worry I that the radio didn't work remembered that the radio did not work when the car was running this morning, so, I decided to take the easy jop first - fix the radio, worry about the clutch later.

I put the key in the ignition and turned it to accessory, the raio worked. I turned the car on and the radio won't work. I turned it off (noise) and turned it on 1/2 way, lights worked, fans worked, radio worked. Turned the car on again (noise). Radio didn't work, fans didn't work, wipers didn't work (noise still there when clutch depressed). I played around behind the dash with the ignition switch and noticed hwo tight it was when I turned the key. Turned key, started car (noise) and then turned the key BACk a 1/4 turn, no noise, radio worked, wipers worked, fans worked, car ran, no noise when clutch depressed! Could it be that the ignition switch was stuck in the "on" position and didn't fall-back to the "run" position?

Stephen

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
yup. :D If you're key was stuck and sending 12V to the clutch interlock, the starter would run every time you pushed the clutch in. Damn, I'm glad you didn't yank the tranny!

Replace that switch and get your butt to the FLING!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

[ June 18, 2002, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: Wade Chamberlain ]

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had something funky happen to me a few weeks ago as well. I turned the key and it didn't seem to do what it was supposed to. Turn it back and forth again and it worked. I have the standard FFR supplied switch that comes with the carb'd kit. Do these ignition switches just suck or is it something that we are doing wrong with them? If they just suck, what is a good replacement?

John

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're glad I didn't remove the tranny? Man, am I GLAD I chickened out and checked the radio first. Fling here we come! Thanks for the un-needed (thankfully) help. See you and your Beth there.

Ssssssssssssssstephen

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Similar situation..... my engine has slowly developed a knock. It's gotten progressively worse over the last week or so. I knew it was only a matter of time since it was a high mileage donor engine and I beat the p!ss out of it, under boost! :D

I was getting worried about making it to the Fling, so I started building another 302 to replace the current one. Also had my eye on a possible "loaner" engine, just to get me to the fling and back!

I drove it to work last tuesday (22 miles each way) and by the time I got there it was knocking so bad I thought I would have to have it towed home. I don't know what made me look, but I reached down to check the bolts in the blower pulley that bolts through the existing crank pulley and into the crank. Sure enough, they were loose.

I tightened those babies up, and no more knock! I'm still building that other engine though! :D

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,997 Posts
Wade...the knock thing happened to me too. It just kept getting worse and I was convinced that my newly rebuilt engine had a major problem. Turns out it was just loose bolts on the crank pully. I tightened them up and the knock went away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts