Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Arruminum
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on getting my MGB on the road and I am thinking about repainting it. My plan is to strip the car down to a shell, strip the paint. Spray it with some primer and fill in the dings and take it to Maaco for their $250 paint job. This car is a serious budget project(serious budget as in no $, not serious as in Jay Leno wants to build something) and I plan on selling it within a year.

Whats the best way to strip the paint myself? The reason I want to strip the paint is because there are already 2 coats of paint and around some of the seams you can see where the paint is starting to lift. I plan on just hitting it with a sander. What grit should I use?

What body filler should I use for the few little dings that it has? No major dents, just a few dings probably 1/8" to 1/16" deep.

What should I use to prime the thing to protect against rust and help the new paint stick? Can I shoot it with the cheapo gun that came with my air compressor? As long as I get the primer on pretty smooth will the paint turn out ok?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
Chemical strippers work well but be careful and wear a mask and gloves, finish it off with sanding. Some good fillers are available at Eastwood.com or check with a local body shop (not Maaco) for what they use.
A friend of mine did this will a 65 fastback Mustang and it turned out nice, even had Shelby stripes but on it.
I am thinking about doing this with my 67 Bronco.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
Be very careful! MGBs were prone to completely rust out in 5 years. My first restoration project was my first ever car. A 5 year old 69 MGB. It had already had the rockers completely rust to holes and was alread repaired once! It's not something I'll ever forget.

·
Cobra Colorist
5,632 Posts
If you're taking it to Maaco and are unloading it in a year, let them do the whole job. If you strip the car you are into some serious time and money just to cover it up with a low grade paint job....There is just no way to bring a car up from bare metal and keep the cost down. Let Maaco patch it and paint it, and when you're ready to sell it have it patched and painted again if it needs it....You will be way ahead in the money and time game...da Bat

·
Senior Charter Member
3,848 Posts
Or, to make it a bit better, but not spend to mutch time. Do the body work yourself and then farm it out for paint out maaco. Some of the people employed there can paint really well, just can't or won't do the body work well at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts