Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
So Senior, I can't Re-
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you ever notice that when you buy a car the last thing they do, once you've agreed to a deal, is to put you in a room with a really cute, "enormously talented" girl who trys to get you to buy an extended warranty, or diamond coating, or rust proofing, or other kinda' useful but, extremely overpriced add-on?

I didn't go for it. (this time, at least) Man! it got really warm in there. ;)

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
We had a guy finishing up the paperwork when my son bought an S10 pickup from a dealer. He treated us like we were idiots for not buying the ridiculously overpriced extended warranty.
Lucky I was able to calm my son down as he was just about to jump over the desk and kick his butt! He had just separated from the Marines and didn't appreciate much being talked down to. ;) Maybe I should have let him have his way?

·
Senior Charter Member
447 Posts
I can't say I've ever had that experience, though I wouldn't mind, so much, if I did...Fortunately, the dealer that I've bought my last 3 cars from knows me pretty well and knows that when we sit down to do the paper work it's because everything that will be agreed to has already been agreed to, so there's no point in asking any more questions. What I've started doing more recently, in fact, is just waiting outside until they're done printing it all up (prices included), and then I just go in and sign (after reading, of course), and then I'm on my way. No fuss, no muss. We're going to be buying a new car for my wife sometime within the next year, and I'd expect that situation to be no different.

Brent

·
Senior Charter Member
366 Posts
I assume that they are doing this before you sign on the bottom line. If so, all you do is get up, and walk out. Tear up the contract if it's in front of you. When asked why, you say "We had a deal, now you want more money, forget it". As you are dragged back to the dealership, you negotiate for some of the add-on's for free.

No dealership is going to blow a car deal because they blew it trying to sell you an insignificant dealer "high profit" add-on.

Works every time.

Allan

·
Land Shark!
4,668 Posts
I just bought an 05 Excursion last weekend, and no high pressure pitch on anything. They gave me a good deal (I thought) on my F-250 trade in, invoice on the Excursion, and I bought the Ford extended warranty - I've made out on the last 4 I bought...

As for the other stuff, he stated outright that it sounded like I knew more about that stuff than he did, here were my options, if I wanted to discuss any of them further let him know... Signed the papers in 10 minutes, walked out with the truck. Easiest car/truck purchase I've ever made.

·
Premium Member
17,840 Posts
Car salesman hate me. I only buy a new car every 6-7 years. I know exactly what I want, what options I will and won't pay for, and how much the vehicle is worth to me. I also know exactly what I want for a trade in, if I have one. I walk in and offer them a deal - take it of leave it. Most dealerships will turn me down; but I can always find one that won't.

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Did you ever notice that at some of the electronic goods stores the extended warranty costs almost as much as the item? Then if it breaks you have to pay for the shipping back to the manufacture. Then wait about a month to get the item back. Makes no sense to me. Barry

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,500 Posts
yeah they tried to do that and sell me this rediculous paint warrenty because"well you kmow these new paints are water based and will fade"
on the extended warrenty she was about to go into the big schpeal and i said "stop right there, i am not buying it so you can save yourself allot of talking" she then said ok, and handed me my paper work and off i went

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm like boB - dealers hate me too. With sites like edmunds.com, you can figure out the cost of each option and what the 'fair' price is for the new car and the trade in.

When I go to buy a car, I price the car and options up and say here is what I'm paying. Make sure you bring a calculator like an HP48 - it scares them. I don't negotiate, it's either done or I'm out.

·
6,654 Posts
Hiya,

Car dealers hate me too. Buying cars is a skill I learned from my Dad! If he couldn't get all the way down and even into the salesman's commission a little, he wasn't happy...hehe

Anyway, when buying my last truck, (03 Hemi Ram Laramie) The 'after sale' girl actually had my attention for a second. She said, 'If you purchase the extended warranty and don't use it, you get the ENTIRE purchase price back at the end of it. I lost my mojo for a second and then came back to my senses and just gave her my line. 'I don't buy those, I know what you make on them and I'm a gamblin' man!'

Anyway, they're getting creative!

R :D

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,291 Posts
Nice line Randy, I will have to remember that one. I had a 93 RX-7 at one point and when I bought it I got the used car extended warranty for $1300. Over the coarse of the next 3 years it lost the tranny, blew an engine seal, had turbo problems, lost the AC compresser, and a couple other things. When all said and done the company had paid out about $4000. That was the one time I bought an exteneded warranty on a car, but it did pay out. I have not bought one since though.

Nathan

·
Premium Member
17,840 Posts
News Flash: I just read this in this morning's paper. Phil Long Ford in Denver is being investigated by whatever gov't agency tracks this stuff. Apparently, they are sneaking the extended warrenty into the contract without telling the customer. Some people are so excited about their new car - or just plain stupid - that they don't notice it.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,684 Posts
Don't want to hijack your thread but how do you take the rebate into the equation when you're negotiating with a dealer?
Do you subtract it from the sticker price and the dealer cost and negotiate from there?
Seems like if you could get the entire rebate amount directly from the manufacturer that that would be the way to handle but the dealer wants to fold it into the deal.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,500 Posts
i will only buy the car if I see the dealer invoice.
I wont do the back and forth thing. Show me the invoice and I will pay that.

·
Klingon Empire - Earth Outpost #23
811 Posts
Dealer invoice is a good start, but there is often a 2% ad allowance and. a 3% factory spiff. Check Edmunds before you purchase.

Da Bear

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
The last (used) vehicle I bought was our Windstar, and we traded our beaten to heck Aerostar in at the same time (wasn't even worth washing out to sell on our own) When they got to the extended warantee BS it was almost to the penny the trade-in they gave me on the van so I said, "Sure,I'll buy it, if you me the Aerostar back."
The guy actually said, "I thought we had a deal?" I said, "I did too, and now you're trying to stiff me for more money!." :D

No warantee, the van had 25K on it at the time and so far the wife's run the Windstart to just over 100K with only minor annoyances that the warantee never would have covered.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,684 Posts
Do Edmunds and KBB take the rebate into account?

·
Klingon Empire - Earth Outpost #23
811 Posts
Edmunds and KKB generally list available rebates separately from the dealers invoice price.

When you do a deal, it is to your advantage to keep the factory to consumer rebate out of the sales managers numbers. Make your best deal and pocket the rebate yourself.

Let the dealer make around $400 to $500 in profit after ad allowances, spiffs and factory to dealer rebates, Anything more is giving away your money. Don't purchase add ons..every! Its a true suckers bet.

Da Bear

1 - 20 of 27 Posts