Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I just dont like to make decisions, that said, I just cant find the right engine. I have looked at alot of sites and shops and many tempting eBay adds but there is always something wrong. I want a 331 with forged pistons and good heads by mid December when I will have a month off to install the engine and get it running, If I could find a great deal on a solid 302 or 306 that would be fine too. I almost had a guy build me just what I wanted but he couldnt get it to me until September and he wanted $7000!!! That seems like alot to me. I am very hesitant to buy off eBay and I have recently had a number of knowledgeable people tell me to stay away from crate engines (they didnt really explain why but they know more than I do about engines). I am just a little bit frustrated and using the forum to vent (my girlfriend is tired of hearing me talk about engines). I need to make a decision soon so if anyone has some ideas...

Trevor

·
Supermoderator
12,393 Posts
Whoever told you to stay away from crate engines gave you bad advice. Talk to Mike Forte or Max at Five Star Ford. Buy yourself a genuine Ford racing engine and be happy.

·
3,798 Posts
I agree with Joe, crate engines are great. I know of at least a dozen that have been used in various vehicles and never any problems. Give Mike a call, tell him what you want, and it willo be drop shipped to your door.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I purchased the FRPP 347 with 450hp from Max at Five Star Ford. You can't even get close to the power with all the components included for the price. Free shipping to your door as well. Even comes with a 1 year warrentee.

·
The Never-Ending Builder
5,329 Posts
Trevor,

Like Old Guy said, there is nothing wrong with crate engines. Really, every car that comes from the factory has a crate engine from the factory. If you get one from Mike or Max, they come DIRECT from the Ford engine plant with a warranty.

Choices that I would suggest.

345 HP Very good on the street.
5.0L/302 GT-40 ALUMINUM HEAD CRATE ENGINE ASSEMBLY
M-6007-XB3* $3,395.00 Needs Manifold and Distributor

400 HP SMOKE EVERYBODY IN SIGHT!
5.0L/302 GT-40 ALUMINUM HEAD 342 "STROKER" CRATE ENGINE ASSEMBLY
M-6007-A342* $5,475.00
Manifold and Distributor INCLUDED

Hank

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
I have recently had a number of knowledgeable people tell me to stay away from crate engines.
Gee, I wish they would have told me. I've apparently been living life on the edge for well over 15,000 miles. Everything has seemed fine, but if I had known I should be worried I could have not enjoyed myself so much. :rolleyes:

·
1,569 Posts
Let's build one up! If you find short block, bolting on the heads and intake isn't that hard at all. Get a Gordon Levy road race pan while you're at it.

·
Junior Charter Member
62 Posts
Trevor,
I agree with your hesitation over eBay but agree with the other about crate engines. After all, the crate builders have thousands of engines to their credit and lots of happy customers. Go for it.

Rick

·
Senior Charter Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know the good reputation that crate engines have and that is probably the way that I will go. Part of my problem is that I want to save money but I know that if I cut corners on an engine now, down the road I will want something with more power and that will mean even more money and pulling the body. I just dont want to be going back and redoing things when I can do it just the way I want the first time. It seems like none of the crate engines out there are exactly what I want. Maybe Im too picky and I need to make a decision and bite the bullet.

Thanks Guys
Trevor

·
Mid Ohio Loopster
1,980 Posts
You don't have to pull the body to change the motor. I changed mine last winter with it on.

Scott

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,441 Posts
Trevor,

Most of the shortcomings of crate engines (for street use) are the heads. Ford GT40 heads aren't very good compared to some aftermarket heads. Both of the engines Hank mentioned would make about 50 HP more with AFR 165 heads for the 302 and AFR 185 heads for the 342.

The nice thing about crate engines is that they are cheap and if you are not comfortable working on engines, they come all ready to install.

One option might be to get the Ford shortblock version of the engine and put AFR or TFS heads on it. A little more money up front, but you wouldn't be pulling the engine down the road.

Kevin

[ November 12, 2005, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: KevinM ]

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
Anyone telling you crate engines are bad wants you to buy one of theirs for more money. They can't compete with crate engine so they bad mouth it. HTH, Cheers Richard.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Trevor,
If you're still looking for a driveline I can dropship a Ford Racing Crate engine to you and supply everything to make it run. Pulley kit, alt bracket & belt, mini starter, ignition wires, MSD 6AL box & coil, Holley carb with fuel line, complete clutch kit & bellhousing, clutch cable linkage, Tremec or T-5, driveshaft, 3pc Energy mount kit w/bolts, etc.
I discount everything and assembly is easy along with customer service by phone or email 7 days a week plus evenings.
Mike Forte
[email protected]
781-273-9900
cell 248-8946

·
Premium Member
17,839 Posts
First off, write down a list of all the parts you think are most important - your wish list. IF you were going to have a custom engine built, what would you want.

Now with that list in hand, call a quality engine builder, like Coast High Performance. Talk to them about what you have in mind. They will help you to adjust your list to build the engine you really want. For example, if you choose AFR 225 heads for a screamin 331, they will talk you out of it.

Then write them a check. Done.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Listen to Nels,

I hang around guys that have FAST Cobras. For 6K that Ford crate 347 will run with everything short of a NASCAR engine,,, IF you know how to drive. If you don't, any 225 hp spec racer will clean your clock no matter what your have.

We just had the Western Roundup at Willow Springs. The reason we had a free BBQ for new builders was so they could see what WORKS and what does NOT. Be careful what you wish for and
and don't cheat yourself on suspention or nothing will work.

·
7,097 Posts
Didn't ALL engines start as crate engines at one point? Only difference that I see is some were put into vehicles and some into crates....overly simplistic way of looking at it, but If I were to build another car, I would use a crate engine.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,441 Posts
It's all a matter of your personality.

There is nothing wrong with the Ford crate engines. They are good engines for their price and if you don't want to have to work on an engine they are great. They don't make as much power as a well speced and well-built engine of the same size will. For some people that is fine, for others, it would be completely unacceptable.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Trevor,
Best price is important but shouldn't sway you toward a particular dearer. It's the whole package so you can just assemble instead of sourcing every part that may or maynot match.
I've done engine-driveline packages for over 20 years with all needed parts including hardware. I don't think much if any could be saved by shopping part by part.
I also have front end packages, steering, spindles and brakes. Complete rearend assemblies in either IRS or straight axle are in stock & ready to ship.
Mike Forte

1 - 20 of 27 Posts