Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be remembering something I never saw, but I would swear I read a post in the last few weeks of a PVC mock up for undercar exhaust.

My searches have not been fruitful, so just wondering whether anyone can point me to this post.

Thanks!

·
Junior Charter Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's it!

Thanks Donald.

I'm on the 'build it kinda quiet' side of the exhaust debate, but I'm having trouble figuring out whether one of the recent side exhaust improvements would be quiet enough, or whether I should go to something more radical undercar, like Michaels setup.

I have an '89 IROC with something similar, and it does have a very nice 'Flowmaster' rumble, but...geez, what a tough decision.

My original plan was to go with cats and FFR side pipes...

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,740 Posts
Go back to your original plan and maybe include a crossover pipe. That will be a real nice setup w/ enough sound so it's still a Cobra but comfortable for longer drives.The undercar exhaust is just way too much work and there is no way around losing ground clearance even when the frame is notched ( no way I'm hacking my frame).

·
FFCobra Fanatic
948 Posts
Check out this recent addition to the FAQ, illustrating how jolsen42 did the undercar exhaust for his incredibly beautiful car. He has a 3-link rear suspension (not having the room for the Flowmaster behind the cockpit, due to the upper link) and reports that the exhaust sounds like a couple of Harleys.

http://www.ffcars.com/FAQ/undercarexhaust.html

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
You can't believe how much quieter these cars are with the stock setup with cats. I have j-pipes and stock sidepipes (sans cats), and mine's pretty darn loud. Recently, North Racecars built a car similar to mine, but with cats. I couldn't believe how much quieter it was! To me, it didn't sound right; I think these cars as supposed to be loud.

At any rate, you might want to consider just using cats with the kit-supplied exhaust components. It really mellows out the growl.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.