Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so after searching the Forum for a couple weeks so I wouldn't have to write this, I have a Challenge car converted to street use and I'm having a devil of a time getting gas into the fuel cell at the pump. I've seen dozens of posts eluding to this but no concrete solutions or answers. Is this a venting issue?
As usual, any help will be appreciated

·
Senior Charter Member
1,697 Posts
Not sure what you have for a tank, but yes the most common issue with fuel not flowing easily into a tank is the lack of good venting.

·
Charter Member
1,602 Posts
Not sure what you have for a tank, but yes the most common issue with fuel not flowing easily into a tank is the lack of good venting.
I agree totally.

John O

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a "FuelSafe" Fuel cell, car sat for a couple years so this is not a new install. Thanks, I'll take a look at the vent hose

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don't know how old your fuel cell is or if this may be the problem, but Fuelsafe (https://fuelsafe.com/fuel-cell-facts/ ) states that "generally" fuel cells are good for about 5 years. Here's the quote from the linked page:

(quote)
How long is foam good for? How do I tell if my Safety Baffling Foam needs replacing?

Longevity of the safety foam baffling depends on the type of fuel used. Generally, fuel cell foam will last about five years if maintained. To determine if your foam needs to be replaced try a pinch-pull test. Take a portion of the foam and pinch/pull it between your index finger and thumb. If the foam is brittle and breaks off in large portions, your foam should be replaced. If your foam stays intact and only sheds small particles, this is normal and should not require replacement. Check your foam at least once a year for the first three years, then twice a year for the following two years, then more frequent the next 5 years.
(Unquote).

I know there are many out there that have lasted substantially longer than 5 years.

·
Premium Member
17,733 Posts
There's a flapper type one way valve where the filler neck connects to the tank. That can get stiff, and make it difficult to get fuel in. If you're not going to be racing, remove that valve and it will get better. It's still a very slow fill, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts