Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Are any of you using a canister style fuel filter with a stock Mustang in-tank pump?

I was planning on using a Summit SUM-G1507, but I just realized it's only rated for 15 psi. I assume the stock Walboro pump puts out a lot more pressure than 15. Fram makes a similar canister filter HPG1 that is rated higher for higher psi.

I am using a carb but planning on lowering the pressure with a return style regulator. The filter will be right after the pump, then feeding the regulator.

Thanks,
Lou

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Ford EFI requires 40psi so the pump will put out at least that much or more. I'm not sure you want to use that in-tank pump for your carburetor.

George

·
Junior Charter Member
1,146 Posts
Choking down a high pressure electric pump seems to be done a lot, but I've also warrantied a few in just months. After the third one expect an auto parts house to refund your money. No more pumps.

While some say it's ok,they don't give you a new pump or free installation, either. It's not the right part engineered to do the job. Installing a low pressure pump outside the tank works fine, too, and it will siphon fuel thru a standard sock and gauge sender. Then you don't need to choke down 35 pounds of pressure, and it all works with the carb. There are plenty of different rotary or pulse low pressure pumps that do the job correctly.

The inline pumps for frame rail mount run $85-125 at the most, the intank units up to $250 depending on what donor. Replacing the in tank is a hassle, especially since they don't seem to last much over 6-9 months choked down. Read the fine print on the warranty carefully - "off script" parts assembled for alternative uses are no longer covered by my company. Run the car one time competitively, no warranty.

If some one speaks up and says, "Sure, it works, and I'll give you free pumps forever," jump on that horse and ride it like you stole it. :evil:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Lou,

That Summit filter will be fine if you run a bypass to tank regulator and not a dead head regulator. Pumps create flow so pressure exists when flow is restricted. So using a bypass regulator set to to 7psi will cause 7psi to exist anywhere in-between the pump and carb.

If your still worried or think you will change to efi in the future, the Fram HPG1 is rated for 200psi working pressure.

I use an in-tank efi pump with the Fram HPG1 canister filter. I have used this pump & filter combo with a carb and Mallory 4309 bypass regulator in the past and now run Fast efi. It has performed flawlessly.

·
Junior Charter Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothing wrong with the stock Mustang EFI filter, I just wanted something with a replaceable element. Summit was good about exchanging their brand filter for the Fram, which I installed last night.

There is definitely some confusion regarding the labeling of the Summit filter, they say it's only good up to 15 psi, JEGS sells the exact same filter and they say it's good up to at least 150 psi.

The Fram has been used by others here so I decided to go with a known item. The brackets are different so that was the only issue. Not a big deal, welded one hole closed and drilled a new hole for the bigger bracket.

Lou

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.