Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Coolest Puzzle ever !
1,305 Posts
$

Well the short answer I believe is no.

Do not forget the cost of shipping, and all the importing tax and fees2,5K about to get the kit in Canada then shipping cost to you, dont think this would make économical Sens.

M'y 2cent

Mk4

·
Registered
210 Posts
The Canadian kit does not include $5K worth of parts that we have to buy from another source due to Transport Canada and imporation regs. The cost of the total parts required is the same as the US kit. Then you add in the cost of the mandatory crate, shipping and import costs, and if we need something from Summit or Jegs, there is more shipping and import duty.....it is defintiely not cheaper in the Great White North. But these details do not stop us from lighting the furnace in the garage and hunkering down for a long winter of wrenching while listening to the hockey game on the radio ( when they are not locked out) Eh?

·
Junior Charter Member
593 Posts
The parts that are deleted from the Canadian kit include all of the suspension parts, all of the brake parts, the fuel tank and lines and associated fuel system parts, the pedal box and brake master cylinders, the driveshaft, and the exhaust system. The reason they offer the Canadian kit stripped down like this is because it is illegal to import a kit car or a car kit into Canada, however it is not illegal to import a "starter car kit", but to qualify as a starter car kit everything that could even remotely be seen as allowing the importer to build a car from the starter car kit must be removed. It's not good enough just to have no drivetrain.

If you ask me its a ridiculous requirement - kit car guys are hardly a danger to Canadians, but that's the law and that's why they do it this way. Once you buy the starter car kit from Factory Five, you have to buy all of the remaining parts from independent third party suppliers.

-Matthew

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Summit or jegs?

Parts are much cheaper local or through a small family company in the US than those retailers. Levy has beat any price I've looked to summit for, I couldn't buy and ship a cam from comp for what he got it to me for. I'm sure forte will sell you his wares and ship them cheaper too.

While we are on the topic, ffr pre calculates it astronomically also. It's simply a lack of customer service.

S and J rip you off on the shipping end when they pre calculate it.

Look at forum sponsors or head to a local speed shop.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: Clowe
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.