Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered a kit last week through a Canadian FFR distributor. I have just recently found out that the exports kits are quite a bit lighter than the kits sold south of US/Can. border!! This should equal a much better power/weight ratio. How they do this with the Canadian kits is to eliminate some of the non essential parts like front shocks, various fastners, brake lines, fuel lines and various other parts. The great news is that we Canadians get it for the same great price of 12990 US. !!!

·
Charter Member
1,891 Posts
Way to see the good side! I've got to tell you that the most frustrating part is looking for bolts and spacers only to find out that you didn't get them..... Then try and find a bolt supply store open on a Saturday!

It's still the most fun I've ever had!

Garrick.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Yeah, aren't things nuts with our dollar! I'm just dreaming of all the good stuff I can buy from the US, aluminum heads, turbos...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Our dollar certainly opens up a lot of options, budget wise. I did a search to find the which parts are "lightened" in the Can. kit, but didn't have any luck, as some of these parts I am going to use (not to worried about the weight, call me crazy). I would like to purchase them in advance, but need to know what to shop for.

·
Slow Builder
267 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MY eagerness got in the way. I had contacted FFR about two years ago, got their intro package and had been thinking about it for awhile. I had made up my options list, got a quote of 1600 us. delivery to Blaine, then heard about a Can. distributor (Al), I "ASSUMED" it would be the same kit as the price was exactly the same, my fault I guess, my reasoning being if the parts were not supplied why would they charge for them? Go figger??

Ross

·
Registered
299 Posts
Originally posted by G-man:
I've got to tell you that the most frustrating part is looking for bolts and spacers only to find out that you didn't get them..... Then try and find a bolt supply store open on a Saturday!
I got all the FFR fasteners with my kit.

I've STILL had to replace almost every single one due to FFR's undersizing most of them. I'd take the shipping weight savings over the scrap metal anyday....

·
Junior Charter Member
1,395 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I asked that David Smith of FFR call me three weeks ago and explain why Canadians don't get a credit for removed parts, especially the front coilovers. I picked up my kit two weeks ago and have never received a call from David Smith.

Always interesting when you think that the average family income in Canada is about 40% less than in the US, but we keep taking it up (the you know what) when it comes to pricing. I have a Corvette - bigger sway bars from the local Chevy dealer are $525, same GM part numbers from a Chevy dealer in Penn. are $146 US. I bought them from Penn. Chevy dealer at about a third of the local Chevy dealer's wholesale cost from GM. Shipping was $45.

And don't even get me started on performance tires.

It ain't just FFR that enjoys ripping off Canadians.

·
Slow Builder
267 Posts
The deletions are thanks to our Canadian government - Transport Canada to be exact.

I don't like the FFR Cdn pricing but also sympathize with them re: their hassles (hence extra cost) of dealing with TC. I'm sure FFR would prefer to sell us a complete kit if only we'd let them.

Endless debates on pricing/deletions over in the Canadian forum. Endless.

Bottom line: they can sell a 90% kit to Canada, their product, their price. And I liked it enough to buy one.

Maybe someday a Cdn distributor will workout something with TC and FFR that will allow complete kits to be sold in Canada. Big hassle. Small market. Can't see me doing it!

ROSS:

When does your kit arrive? I'm a ski instructor up at Mt Wash, split my winter between there and Victoria. So I'll be driving by your neck of the woods constantly ... give me a shout if you need an extra hand with something.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the offer Mike, it should be here mid Dec. I'll let you know when I find out, you can drop by and give me some pointers if you're on your way through.

Ross

·
Slow Builder
267 Posts
I'm still pretty early in my build ... bit of drilling alum, bit of work on front end, starting on my 3 link. I'm going non donor, u?

If non-donor, be warned, it may take longer than you expect to source and have parts shipped. My 2 yr plan is now more like a 4 yr plan! I tend to bounce around on my build, work til I discover I'm missing something, work on something else while I'm waiting for part A. Discover I need fasteners etc :)

The people on this forum are great ... and I'm happy to give back.

I'm probably more useful as a 3rd hand than a 2nd brain :) at this point but am learning tons, always willing to help in anyway I can. I also have some pics from build school and know a couple of people with built Cobras down here.

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
299 Posts
Originally posted by Driver_WT:
Always interesting when you think that the average family income in Canada is about 40% less than in the US, but we keep taking it up (the you know what)
May I ask where you came across this little tidbit?

·
Going nowhere fast.
19,728 Posts
I don't have a horse in this race, but something does not add up in the Wikipedia numbers (besides not being for the same year). This is Stright from the World Bank for 2006: US: $44,260 PPP CA: $34,610 PPP (a 28% difference--down from 34% in 2005)

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/DATASTATISTICS/Resources/GNIPC.pdf

Mike

PS. PPP dollars are not based on exchange rates, they are based on purchasing power within each country normalized to the dollar in the US. If a country has higher prices for commodities, the $PPP will be lower.

·
Premium Member
5,825 Posts
Welcome Ross,

Eagerness will lead your wallet down a slippery slope very quickly! ;)

Don't ask any of us to help you though, we are all far too far gone to be of any assistance in that department! :D

Be advised there is no known cure and the forum is what is known in rehab as an 'enabler'...

Other than the option limitations (no IRS etc.), the only really costly deletion from the Canadian pack list are the Bilstein coil-overs. Not really sure they would be on your top ten list in any case.

The other missing bits fall more into the nuisance category than anything else. I have not been short any bolts although have replaced many due to wrong size provided anyways. I do understand your feelings though about paying the same price as others would for a full kit and getting an abbreviated one. Check out the Canadian forum if you want to read about the reasons why (our crappy government's outdated legislation, FFR's legal costs etc.).

Sean

·
Junior Charter Member
183 Posts
Perhaps an alternative would be to charge in
Canadian dollars (approx. $650.00 difference) or current exchange rate and supply all the parts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Have fun with your kit. When you are speeding along just remember that you don't have any brake line's.

·
Charter Member
1,891 Posts
I was missing the bolts and spacers for the coil overs front and back. I don't blame FFR because it's transport Canada that is forcing them to remove the parts. I just wish we got a credit for the high priced items like the shocks. FFR however did spend considerable amounts of money fighitng to even get the kits into Canada so they're making their money back one set of shocks at a time.

I'm just tankfull that I CAN have the kit, I'll pay extra for the shocks.

What burns my toast is that Transport Canada thinks it's safer for me to fabricate my own spacers than it is to just is them kit ones.... Thanks for looking out for me TC. Tax money well spent!

Garrick.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts