Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Chuck, a T5 with the stock bellhousing will bolt right up. It might actually last longer than you think because you are moving 1,000lbs less weight. I have a T5 with the world class parts. I was running it in a '92 coupe for quite a while with a 351 making 400rwhp. It held up fine. If I were starting from scratch and were looking to buy a tranny new, I would just buy the tremec. If you have a chance to get a used T5 in decent shape for a good price I would do it.

Good luck.

Jim

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Chuck your subject line asks about a Windsor,and the text refers to a Cleveland.These are two diferent animals.

The Windsor will bolt to the T5.The Cleveland I'm not so sure about.

·
5,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry for the confusion.... I know they W and C are different but I thought they might have similar dimensions....thus the concern about clearance issues. There was someone that had problems with the C and t5 where the bellhousing was bumping into the transmission tunnel.

Thanks all for the responses

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Cwood,
The Clevland and Windsor use the same bellhousing bolt pattern along with the 289 & 302. A 351 C & W use a 28 oz. flywheel like the 289 and Non HO 302's. The HO 302 uses a 50 oz flywheel. There are many clutch bolt patterns, but the most used today is the diaphram 10.5" Mustang style that uses metric bolts & dowels. Many a T-5 has lasted behind strong motors and many have broken behind them too. I wouldn't spend much on a used T-5 when there are good chances you'll have broken gears down the road.
Mike Forte
Forte's Parts Connection
376 R Cambridge Street
Burlington, MA 01803
ph: (781) 273-9900
fax: (781) 273-9955

·
Charter Member
534 Posts
Mike is a wellspring of information on this subject.

The flywheel will be your biggest problem. Not only do you need the correct balance, as pointed out by Mike, but SBF's also had two different starter ring gears; 157 tooth and 164 tooth. Now mix this in with several different clutch bolt patterns and you can see that you need to be careful selecting the flywheel and clutch. The crankshaft bolt pattern is the same for all of them.

I have a 392W with a Fidanza aluminum flywheel that has a 157 tooth ringgear and comes with both 28 oz. and 50 oz. weights; you bolt on whichever you need. It has the clutch bolt pattern for the late model 10 1/2" diaphragm clutch. There's another "gotcha" here though. The aluminum flywheel is thicker than the iron so you need to buy ARP NASCAR long flywheel bolts for proper thread engagement in the crank.

Ed

·
Charter Member
534 Posts
Maybe.....

depending on all the factors above. ;)

Ed

·
Junior Charter Member
49 Posts
Chuck,
What Mike said is correct, but let me simplify it a little. Assuming that you have all the donor parts from a 1987-93 Mustang that go between the transmission and engine (bellhousing, starter motor, flywheel,ect..), then the only part you will need is a flywheel with the correct balance (28-oz) that has the same number of teeth as the donor. The Ford Racing Performance Parts catalog should have the specs for a direct mustang replacement flywheel and give the number of teeth. For some reason I think it is 157, but check to make sure. In fact the FRPP catalog probably has the exact flywheel you need for a 351W, just look at the descriptions. Keep it simple, this way whenever a part needs replacing (starter, clutch, etc...) you just get a repacement mustang part. That's all there is to it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have a 392 and floored it in third and the tranmission broke. I would not put a high HP motor in front of a T5.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
There are a whole lot of them out there befind 400HP engines and doing well. Take your chances, they are cheap enough to try and just throw away if something happens. Hopefully nothing will.

On the subject of the flywheel, I bought one off of E-Bay. Pretty darn cheap for a billet flywheel too. Click Here to see it
Or here to see the sellers listings

·
Charter Member
534 Posts
Hoosier,

TMD is where I bought my Fidanza flywheel, also.
TMD calls it a "Hawk", but it was drop shipped from Fidanza Engineering in Ohio.

Ed

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tim, curious if you had to do any mods to make your t5 work with the 351?
What flywheel and clutch did you use?
I have a stock T5 out of a 87 Mustang and want to mate it to a 351...380hp/410 torque.
What do I need to know?
Don't want to reinvent the wheel and would prefer asking a guy who's done it to get the right answer, you can waste a lot of money on trial and error!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts