Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to toe my cobra to open track events with a toe dolley.The ones that the front wheels rest on the dolley and the rear wheels are on the ground.Is there a problem towing with the rear wheels on the ground with the 5 speed in nuetral?Has anyone done this?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,726 Posts
Worked fine for my 280zx about 18 yrs ago to get to SCCA regionals.

·
Registered
318 Posts
It is better to toe it than to finger it. Sorry, bad joke.

I know that in my Chilton's it says that the Mustang shouldn't be towed. No personal experience here.

·
Charter Member
750 Posts
mrk3, I had my car in Ocean City Md a few years ago and had an engine problem. I came home, borrowed a tow dolly from a neighbor, drove it back to Ocean City, and toed it bach home with no problems whatsoever. The trip was a little over 300 mi. The only suggestion I would give you, is to get the dolly hitch as high on the truck as possible, so the ramps don't interfere with the side pipes.
Ergie

·
Caress of Steel
2,178 Posts
You probably can, they don't tilt the car up much, but you'll likely scrape the gas tank cover going into driveways, etc.

It'd be worth it to pay a bit more for a car carrier...if you're gonna put miles on your tires you might as well be driving it, is how I look at it.

·
Super Moderator
29,537 Posts
Bill32 tows his that way

·
4,494 Posts
I used a Mastertow tow dolly for 3 years. I think the model was 75 TD, had disc brake option.

Towed my Cobra, my spec racer and my Camry probably a total of 4,000 miles. Never had any problems. If you have power steering on your Cobra, it will seem stiff for the first turning of the steering wheel, then it is fine. No issues with transmission or rearend. One thing you must remember is that you can't back up much as tow dollies have two joints, one is at the ball and the other is the car's front wheels. You can back up a little if you have the rig all straight.

·
Senior Charter Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks bill the mastertow tow dolley is the one I was looking at.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts