Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
using the vip test connector, the instructions i have read always say to use an analog volt meter, is it possible to use a digital one or a test light

also is it possible to pull codes from a bad computer, i tried using a test light hooked up as they say an analog volt meter should be hooked up and the test light lights dim and gets brighter when i turn the key but nothing flashes

i tried different computers but got the same results(they were eec4 ones but not for this car, one was for a 90 tbird and one was for a speed density stang, i did this to help diagnose a fuel pump problem and using either of these two made the fuel pump work as it should so i ordered a new computer but just wanted to make sure this was normal so i dont screw up my new computer, thanks.......Vinny

·
Premium Member
16,322 Posts
It should be an analog meter but you can use a light as long as it is low amps. Don't use a test light but a small dash light should work OK. The process for getting the codes out should be the same for the speed density computer you have (and the other as well). When you turn on the key you may get a dim light for a couple of seconds which is the fast codes, then you would get the normal codes.

Here is the site to use for how to download the codes: http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/eecivtest.html

Cheers, Rod

·
Senior Charter Member
552 Posts
Vinny - I've got an analog volt meter set up to get codes and have done it sucessfully several times. I'd be glad to help you. Let me know.

The fuel pump runs during part of the Key On Engine Off test - so possibly it will show a code if it doesn't run.

Tom

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok i will try and use a smaller light since i dont have an analog meter, i have the instructions and actually have an obd2 code reader which doesnt help me with this though

my new computer will be here in the morning

will the bad computer give up any codes, i figured i would check before i swap it

thanks guys.......Vinny

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,266 Posts
Most auto parts stores sell OBD1 code readers for under $50 that you can use. Much easier and a good tool to have in your box. I recently bought a digital OBD1 code reader (digital display vs. flashing light) for $35 online. I posted info about that last week. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts