Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have stock power steering and have removed the cooling tube. I have a leak off the front shaft seal that I repaired a few weeks ago. I never really tested it out aside from idling it due to the shock saga. I finally got it back on the road and after the first long run the leak recurred. It does not appear to leak when sitting still so I got to thinking - is it possible it could be overheating on a very mild street drive? If so is this the symptom I would see?

Thanks,

Geoff

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
It is possible to overheat the power steering if you don't have a cooler, but usually only on the track. On the street, I seriously doubt it. A lot of us (me included) don't run coolers.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
The stock P/S pump, is it the donor one? or a re-man? It is possible that the bushing inside has been worn and is causing a leak from the seal under pressure. Replacing just the seal will not fix the play in the bushing that caused the seal to leak in the first place. I would replace the pump with a new one. JMHO for what it's worth.

Skip

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
Allot of it depends on the weight of the car and how much work the power steering pump has to do. When I converted my '86 TurboCoupe from a turbo 4 to a 5.0, I just installed the V8 pump and connected it to the TC rack without a cooler, because the TC didn't come with one. Within 6 months I was having power steering problems, and when I checked the fluid, it was burned. There is almost nothing that smells as bad as burned power steering fluid. After flushing the system I installed a small 3 pass transmission cooler inline with the return line and never had a problem. This car was only street driven.

·
Charter Member
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pump is quiet, which seems to be rare for the Mustang pump. There is no detectable play laterally in the shaft. It will pull out (away from the pump) about 1/4" or so. I pulled the pump and drained it. The color is dirty compared to new fluid - almost like old transmission fluid looks, but there is no odour to it. There is only 800 miles on the new fluid. I though maybe the rack was dirty on the inside and it was from that, but it is a reman. rack.

If it overheats, I am suspecting that the pressure inside the pump increases and forces it past the shaft seal. Is this likely? There is a breather hole in the cap and nothing has leaked out there.

Thanks for the help,
Geoff

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
It sounds like the pump is junk. 1/4 inch end play is way to much. You'll never get it to stop leaking.
I don't have a cooler on my P/S and have never seen any signs of excessive heat in the fluid.
Once again, JMHO.

Skip

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
Fabricating a cooler is easy...Just a piece of 5/16th fuel line about 4 feet long, and bent into a double coil...place this behind the lower scoop, and connect both ends to the LP power steering line....It will save your system.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
No cooler used here with no issues. I had a slight leak on my pump in the begining. Thought it was from the seal but ended up being the teflon gasket on the high pressure hose where it connects to the pump. Took awhile to find as it did'nt always leak. Looked just as a seal leak would. Small drip on bottom of pump.
Dirty oil is from oil left over in donor rack.

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
This is Murphy's Law in spades...You probably don't need the cooler, but if you have a melt down, you will wonder why you didn't just go ahead and do it....If you do a search on this topic, you will find several people that had heat problems because they didn't use the cooler.

[ August 13, 2007, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Barry ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts