Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Too Cheap to paint!
Joined
·
6,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stock 5.0 has an older pair of all aluminum COBRA valve covers, with PCV on one, and oil fill on the other. Thje valve covers have the baffle plate inside on the top. My car is a carb'd car.

My new crate motor has the newer Motorsports valve covers. Can I swap on my old ones, keep the PCV, and not have any rocker interference with the older valve covers? The motor is a GT-40, and has roller rockers as factory issue.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,034 Posts
You can swap them, but they have to be modified. Try to find/search the mod for the baffles in this section of the forums. It was detailed well with pictures.
 

·
Senior Charter Member
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
I had the old style, taller COBRA finned valve covers on my old 331. Tried to put them on my crate 302 (345 horse B-cam version) and they wouldn clear the rockers. And I'm not sure that baffle mods would have fixed the problem.
 

·
Too Cheap to paint!
Joined
·
6,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like I'll initially use the new ones, then check on what's involved to adapt my older ones. I like them, as I have tried to keep a period look on the top of my motor, with the aluminum dual-plane manifold, Hi-Po style air cleaner, black wires, and the Red distributor cap. It does look like a 289, so I am tryingto keep the look.

Anybody got the link to the mods?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,561 Posts
Not sure if these are that same valve covers but here's the write-up I did a while back on my mod to use the FRPP F302 "Cobra" valve covers:

I used the F302 covers on my 302 with a small mod. My config is Edlebrock Performer RPM heads with Comp Cams Pro Magnum roller rockers. I am also using the Felpro thick gasket (1645). I started by placing play dough on the adjusting nuts to check for clearance. The covers were then installed and torqued down (4 lb-ft - spec is 3 to 5 lb-ft). As you can see there was some slight contact as the dough was squeezed out on part of the nut (sorry this pic is fuzzy):




Here is the baffle before reshaping:





I remove the baffle and reshaped as shown here:





There are three stand offs under the baffle.



I trimed the two outboard ones (the right ones in the pic) to allow the baffle to fit properly:



The baffle was reinstalled and the play dough was rechecked with the following results.



Lot's of clearance.

Cheers, Rod
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top