Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject says all. Want to use this pump

You know I like to dress things up. March sells a pulley kit for SBF's setup for either GM or Ford pump. But I have yet to see a nice looking Ford pump.

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
This is what I'm interested in also. I'll be looking forward to the replies!

R :D

·
5,559 Posts
I can't think of a good reason why it wouldn't work - the parts don't know what brand they are! As long as you can get bracketry that will adapt it to your engine that would be the hardest part. Just about any Napa, or other parts house that makes hydraulic hoses will be able to make lines for you once you know the length, and fitting types you need.

Brian

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I heard that the GM pump put out more pressure than the Ford counterpart. Is there a mod that most be done? An adjustment??

·
Junior Charter Member
791 Posts
Interested in an explanation on this also, but want to use an aftermarket pump with seperate reservoir.
Anyone have a link to info. on what pressures the hydroboost cylinder and steering cylinder should run at?
Jon

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jon,

I fairly sure you must use a ford pump if you are going with hydroboost.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Ford actually used the Saginaw on many models in the early '70s through to the early '80s...

Mostly Cleveland and big-blocks, but you should be able to find some bracket to make it work for your application...

As for making the Ford CII pump pretty, you can always chrome the reservoir or paint it and then use a chrome dress up kit on the pump reservoir and cap like we did. Not bad looking I think:

HTH...
Mark

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
I've heard that hot rod guys use a GM pump and a ford rack, but they reduce the pressure by adding washers under the spring in the rack to act like a bypass(The one most people shorten)
I have no first hand experience though

·
743 Posts
If you use a Heidt's valve, you can adjust the pressure going to the rack. This will allow you to use the GM pump

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by bcovell:
If you use a Heidt's valve, you can adjust the pressure going to the rack. This will allow you to use the GM pump
You mean this:

Man I love this forum. Learn something new everyday. Now, do I need special lines to connect from pump to rack? And does anyone know where one can find dress SS lines?

·
Premium Member
16,561 Posts

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, it looks like for the
it will be GM pump with the Gotta show lines and the Heidt's valve to control pressure into this Beatiful chrome rack:

·
Premium Member
16,561 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts