Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to figure out how to do this build and pay cash as I go. I really do not want to do a donor build but all new. The $19,000 full kit seems the way to go, but its more than i have availible at this time. I can do the $12,000 here next month...What im thinking is to start with the base kit and as i get the money buy the parts i need as I go....Is this possible and feaseable. Im hoping when getting the kit it will keep me busy till im ready to go to the next phase (pay as I go). I need your experience and input......

·
Junior Charter Member
376 Posts
Just keep in mind you hit some of the expensive parts pretty early in the build - i.e. the rear axle, brakes, and wheels/tires (to set it on the ground and tighten up the suspension). So plan on spending a few grand extra on parts early in the build - even before you are dealing with the engine and transmission...

Otherwise, it's about what I am doing - my checking account can't handle the 'big bang' build

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Breeze will sell you the parts as you need them.

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
Of course you can. These things take time to build and there's no reason to buy something until you actually need it (unless you find a really good deal on something you know you'll need/want later on). You can find some smokin' deals for parts in the classifieds on this forum.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yes, that is the way I am doing mine. Buy what you want when you want.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Breeze Automotive is a forum sponsor and you can find the link under the advertisers tab. Mark sells individual parts when you need them or has a master pack for those that want everthing at once.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I didn't use a donor either i bought the kit.I been work on my since march and i am still buying parts. Iam paying as i go to this way give you time to see what you want.

·
Junior Charter Member
916 Posts
Yeah, Shopping is half the fun...............

BUTTTTTTTT Anyway you do it, it adds up QUICKLY..

MUST RESIST UPGRADES.....AAAAHHHHH...

Have fun
Bart

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,103 Posts
I would say it all depends on what you are building as to how much optional stuff you need up front. What kind of rear end are you going? IRS will require a bit up front. It also depends on how long you plan to take to build it. One thing I will mention which favors waiting and going into it when you have more of the money. Your warranty on parts starts when you buy it, if you do you build over a couple of years, you may find a part fails or does not work and is now out of warranty (FFR is good, but there are a million other parts you will use from places that may not honor replacing a 2 or 3 yr old part - even if new or still in the package!

Just something to think about.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,345 Posts
I'd say the majority of builders do it that way. Who saves up thirty grand or so and then buys the kit?

Save enough for the kit and the options you consider must-haves plus a couple thousand extra if you can swing it. Remember to include shipping or tax if you're going to pick it up yourself. Order the kit and start building. Use the manual and the 58 steps in the FAQ section as a guide and stay just enough ahead on parts to keep going. If you run low on cash, there is always something to work on to stay busy until you are able to get more parts.

Once you have the kit, you can make it work. You might not have a $10,000 motor or $2000 worth of Aeroquip fittings but it's not the money you have in it that matters anyway. It's what you do with what you have that makes it interesting and unique. You can always upgrade the stuff you don't like when you get bored with it after it's been on the road for awhile.

HTH,

·
Senior Charter Member
6,104 Posts
First let me put in a disclaimer that I would never do the following, but.....

There could be some "sales tax benefits" associated with doing it your way.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
www.breezeautomotive.com

Check out his EZPacks. They are bundled parts broken up into categories, so you can order what you need when you need it.

The most expensive part will be the engine & trans, so you can build everything except those, then order parts when you have the money saved.

·
Senior Charter Member
798 Posts
That's the way I did mine. I bought a pallet with all the parts from the list, all used parts of course. I think at the time I did mine I got the parts for around 2500. Did the four lug with the turbine wheels, painted pipes and roll bar, drove it in primer for about a year. Added the five lugs, then ceramic coated the pipes and roll bar, then the wheels, then the paint, about two years later new motor, and I just did the three link upgrade. So do the car as you can afford it. It has kept me busy in the garage for years.

·
1,405 Posts
Originally posted by Dan Babb:
www.breezeautomotive.com

Check out his EZPacks. They are bundled parts broken up into categories, so you can order what you need when you need it.

The most expensive part will be the engine & trans, so you can build everything except those, then order parts when you have the money saved.
I have to respectfully disagree. The most expensive part is this forum then the engine and trans.

I have the money set aside for my build and the wife still wants me to spread out my purchases. Something about seeing those really big credit card bills bothers her.

·
5,559 Posts
I would highly recommend buying the base kit, then build as you can afford to - unless you have a tight timeframe to complete it. The main reason is that there is so many choices of component types, quality, etc. out there, that you may, depending on the type of car you want, end up with completely different components than the ones included in the "package deal". Also, as has been covered, you can do it MUCH cheaper by waiting for deals to come along in the classifieds here, and on other forums. The good thing about hanging here is that guys are constantly upgrading components, often with little to no actual mileage on them! It's been my experience that generally parts that are considered "used", even if they were just bolted on, only fetch about 50-60% of the original price paid on the secondary market. Something to think about anyway, because you will end up in that boat when/if you decide to upgrade the supplied components...

Brian

·
Junior Charter Member
30 Posts
I am just getting started and thinking along the same lines about the buy as you go method. With other cars I have modified I have always found good deals on gently used parts and have saved a lot of money that way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.