Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

i have read thru the manual and looked at build photos, but i am still not sure what this removable piece is for. i think it has something to do with access to the windshield fasteners.

is it supposed to be removable? what is the square notch for? how do you seal up this hole when finishing?

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
The large oval hole is for the factory wiring EFI grommet. There should be a block off plate in the aluminum somewhere. I plan on using that hole to run my wires through by modifiing the block off plate. I haven't got a clue as to what the notch is for.

John

·
Charter Member
248 Posts
The notch is for hte windshield post. I had to modify the notch a bit deeper when I install my windshield. Remeber: do not place bulb seal across the notch. It makes the windshield installation more difficult! :eek:

·
FFR Craftsman
5,833 Posts
Thanks for the answer which verified my suspicions.

·
Senior Charter Member
4,270 Posts
If your not using EFI, or are mounting the EFI harness in a diffrent location, there is no reason you couldn't run wires through there. I would run some buld seal, a grommet, or use wire loom to avoid shorts in the wiring. The square notch is for the windshield post.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,920 Posts
Make sure you seal it up well. There is no shortage of spaces where hot engine air will get into the cockpit. You don't want to create another.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
908 Posts
You can run wires through there, I did. As mentioned there should be a block off plate in the packet of block off plates that should have come with the kit. Cut the edge of the block off plate to fit a grommet(s) to run your wires through and then just use screws to secure the block off plate so you can remove it as needed.

·
Charter Member
248 Posts
I believe liza recommended some straw (can't remeber the boy's name), but in this application, I would recommend the aluminum block off plate supplied by FFR
You can drill a smaller hole through the plate and use a standard grommet to protect the wires.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
732 Posts
When I first saw that slot I knew it must be for the steering shaft on British delivered kits :D . By the way, has FFR sold any to our British friends? Wondering, too much time on my hands. :rolleyes: Can you imagine being the welder some Monday morning when he gets his pallet of parts and a work order, for one kit, opposite hand? :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts