Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to remove one head bolt and attach my fuel line retaining clip under it.

This is on TFS aluminum heads that have been torqued down and the car does have a blower on it. This is a new motor, never fired.

Thanks

Cody

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
Although not a great thing to do, I would do it. Make sure you have your Torque wrench pre-set and handy as it is not good to leave it un-torqued for very long. Remember Ford's "better idea" (not) of only 4 small headbolts per cylinder on the deuce.
If you are un-easy about it - find another place for the clip.

·
6,546 Posts
Randy has more experience than I do.

I would NOT mess with a headbolt, especially on a blown motor. Also putting a washer or something under it could alter the torque reading.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
I know people who retorque their heads every year.
If you do it, make sure engine is 24hour cold.
I would like to see what other people say about retorquing the whole head, as opposed to one bolt.
I'm with Randy on this..I think "you" can do it and get away with it...If "I" did it, then there would be problems.
**Remember that is the lower bolt and it has sealer on it. If they didn't use a soft sealer like Permatex, then you will have a coolant leak after messing with the sealer.
I would just make a new bracket somewhere else.
There might even be an unused threaded hole on the front of that head, up higher.

[ April 04, 2004, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Knight ]

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
Whups - wait a second. I just re-read your post and saw that it was aluminum head. Don't do it. The rigidity of the aluminum head is less than that of an iron one..

I need more coffee before I start posting! :eek:

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,543 Posts
Cody,
I dont know what everyone is worried about...you are most likely removing last bolt in the front on the passenger side. I assume you are using ARP bolts and they dont have the provisions for the fuel line clip like the stock head bolt does. If you havent fired it or filled it with coolant I dont see a problem with removing it and putting the bracket on under the head. Be sure to put the washer back on top of the bracket with the bevel up and apply some oil to the underside of the bolt head so that you get an accurate torque reading. I would also advise a retorque after initial startup and heat cycling. Removing the bolt is somewhat similar to retorquing anyhow because you loosen the bolt first to take the stress off of it and then retorque it to full torque. Good Luck with it!

Mike

·
5,559 Posts
I wouldn't recommend touching a headbolt - especially just one on an aluminum head! Why don't you attach the fuel line clip to one of the valve cover bolts? It will still be a clean install, without the worry of affecting a critical component such as a head gasket...

Brian

·
Senior Charter Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, lucky for me I spent the day doing yard work instead of working on the cobra or I may have pulled the bolt and put the clip on after the first post.

With my luck I am not going to chance it and put the clip on, I will find a different spot or put the clip on after I blow my first head gasket.

Cody

1 - 10 of 10 Posts