Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of not buying the heater as a option yet because it will be a while before I can get a top. How easy is it to install a heater after the car has been built. My car is only a roller at the moment.thanks kris

·
Registered
153 Posts
Kris,

It's definitely MUCH easier to install before the body. I'm sure that it could be installed later. I just took the body off this summer for some repair work and you could do the same to add the heater.

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Kris:
I don't see an issue but what you might want to do (depending upon if you decided on a heater or still not sure) is:

Punch out the holes for the hoses. You would have to know what heater you're getting and how those hoses will route. You can then plug them up for now.

Run the power wires and have the switch already setup on the dash. Just be sure to terminate the "hot" wires with electrical tape so they don't short out anything by accident.

Be sure you have heater hose routes cleared. You might even have the hoses put in advance.

·
4,494 Posts
YOu should do it before body install, it will not be fun later. Also, you need to know which heater you will buy. Lastly, you will use the heater even without a top!.

Bill

·
Registered
538 Posts
Kris, I agree with Bill above. I don't have a top planned but I am putting in a heater now. The nights are cool here in southern California even in the summer. So you might consider just doing it now.

Paul

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,739 Posts
Install the heater before you put the body on unless you are one of those guys who likes to do things the hard way, this could cure that propensity.

BTW my wife likes the car and really likes the heater.

Rick

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Or you could do heated seats...

I don't have the extended firewall and I gave up trying to figure out a way to mod the heater, plus having heater hoses with a Mass-Flo. I just sent it all back to FFR and ordered the heated seat element kit...

Though I do not have them in yet, I presume they will work nicely for the chilly fall evenings better than a heater in an open top car...

Just a thought...

Mark

·
Junior Charter Member
118 Posts
Do it now before the body goes on. If adding windshield wipers, think about doing them early in the build as well. Its a bear trying to get my hands up under the body in between the heater core.
Jeff

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,310 Posts
Hey Mongol, is that cold wind off the plateau blowing up your kilt? (Braveheart don't need no stinking heater)

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
The heater is very effective even without the top; you'll be glad you did it now. It's a 30 minute install if no mods are done.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good one scalded dog. By the way here's a hen-way for you. kris

·
2,860 Posts
I won my car in a raffle. ($25.00 well spent.) It did not have a heater or windshield wipers. I installed both with the painted body on. Very doable, BUT very time consuming. I also have a tonneau cover...heat is great. I will get seat heaters next year also. Still thinking about a top. Put the heater in NOW!

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
I have a Vintage Air heater and A/C and I cant imagine trying to do this with the body on.. Do it now, even if you do not use it.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
do you already have wipers? the heater will be even harder to install if you have the wiper motor in there.

just a suggestion - electric heated seats might do.

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
Do the heater now. It is just too cheap and easy to do now. We built our first car without one and will never do that again. Top or no top the heater is an absolute must have. Even in the summer on a cool morning the heater takes the edge off. I have used but heat and air in the same day. HTH, Cheers Richard.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks alot guy's for the respone's, I think I might just wait longer and install the heater. thanks kris

·
Junior Charter Member
823 Posts
Kris, my plan exactly.

Build it as basic as it gets, add stuff and improvements later.

This way I will get years worth of enjoyment working on the FFR! (Yes, I like to work on my cars!)

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,695 Posts
I put in the old QR/Vintage Air heat/ac unit on my car after I bought it from the builder.Took me nine hours just to get the basic unit box installed into the firewall.NOT fun! I'd at least buy the heater box and install it cause it's just big enough to affect the location of things like ECU,wipers,glovebox,dash part of the harness,etc.I think you will be surprised how many days you can add driving your car just by keeping your feet warm.I suspect in your area there are a lot of winter days that end up at 40-45 degrees just long enough for an hours drive.Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Yeah...I would install it now or you'll be really surprised at the words that will come out of your mouth later.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts