Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to mate the stuff form my Wilwood kit with Breeze's pre-made brake lines/bracket kit.

I can't decide if the following is 'safe', or if my braided line is too long and I need a shorter one to be on the safe side. From the driverside:

Wheels turned all the way to the right

Wheels in the middle

Whells turned all the way to the left

Because of the excess, when turned all the way to the left the hose pulls in an brushes against the LCA. I have no idea if this is safe and okay, or if I need a much shorter brake line from the caliper?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hi Alex,

Good to see you're making progress. I'd say that longer is better than shorter - I had to relocate my braided lines as they became 'taught' under full lock and full suspension travel. I figured that if I'm ever in a situation where I'm under full steering lock AND full suspension travel, I'm having a bad enough day as it it without having a brake line break as well!

A bit shorter may not be a bad idea though, as like you I get nervous seeing brake lines rubbing against other parts.

Pop over next time you're up in the NW and have a look at my braided setup and I can show you where I've worn through the clear coating on the braid!

Cheers,

Steve

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Any rub is unsafe with brake lines. I'd go with the shorter line, also put tires on to check for tire rub. Pete

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by radarpete:
Any rub is unsafe with brake lines. I'd go with the shorter line, also put tires on to check for tire rub. Pete
What about rubbing against the F-panel? I assume that that is pretty much unavoidable?

Originally posted by Ghibli Cup:
Hi Alex,

Good to see you're making progress. I'd
Progress always seems to happen when Canada Post finally deems me worthy to receive my packages =)

·
master craftsman
5,597 Posts
Can you mount it to the top of the spindle bracket, it would turn with the spindle. If not can you secure it to the lower controll arm, rear side, metal frame mount? Seems like either of those should tack up the slack and not rub.....My choice would be to go with the spinlde top mount if clearences work........
or better yet how about and eyebolt in on of the unused upper spindle mount holes pointing toward the rear, run the hose through it using it as a mount/guide...............Steve

·
Living Large
1,871 Posts
Try and twist the steel line so that it has a very gentle curl in it. By loosening the fitting and twisting the line and then tighening it you can set up the line to compress and extend like a spring. If you look past the spring and shock you can see the brake line.
Cheers,
Trent

·
master craftsman
5,597 Posts
On some stock (OEM) vehicles they have a heavy duty wire that runs from a bolt in the caliper outward and bends at a 90 degree angle with an eyelet that holds the brake line out of the way of things and takes upp the slack, again with the wire bolted to the caliper it moves/guides the line as the caliper turns.........Steven

·
Banned
608 Posts
Try mounting the chassis mount so the line comes out straight. You'll end up with an "S" shape which should take up some distance. HTH

Mac

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
Get a somewhat soft spring, like a throttle spring. One end to the brake line, and the other to the inside of the lower oram. Or whatever point works out best. The spring will hold the line down and out of the way, but easily stretch when needed.

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by TRENT:
Try and twist the steel line so that it has a very gentle curl in it. By loosening the fitting and twisting the line and then tighening it you can set up the line to compress and extend like a spring. If you look past the spring and shock you can see the brake line.
Cheers,
Trent
Playing around with it somemore, if I loose ~ 2-3'' off the braided line then it fits nicely in place and doesn't contact either the suspension or the tire.....taking off 2-3'' by twisting it might be a stretch (or maybe not, I didn't try yet) - but I think it would probably be a lot easier for me to just buy a slightly shorter braided line tomorrow =)

(and then of course I'll find out they don't come in the size I need, so after a week of swearing I'll probably end up taking one of the suggetsions about to make a bracket or something similar for it :D )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts