Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know I could just call and ask them, but I'm wondering at 7pm on a Sunday :D

I am planning on putting either Cobra Earl's touring trunk in my car, or fabricating something myself to get a larger trunk.

It seems all the real good trunk enlarging options require cutting out one of the diagonals above the gas tank to get more depth...

Can FF leave that part out of the frame if someone requests it? I'm planning on getting the frame powdercoated, and I'd hate to mess it up cutting that piece out.

I suppose this is like people removing the diagonal to put in a midshift, and I haven't seen mention of people getting them to leave that bit off, so I'm betting the answer is no...

By the way, they really should put in big words on the search page that the Roadster forum is split into a bunch of archives you can't search through all at once... I've been searching for things for months and never noticed that.

·
Junior Charter Member
5,413 Posts
If they wont you can always use a cutt off wheel and then paint it with Por 15. That's what most people do with a chasis powder coated before frame mods.
HTH
Chris

·
Charter Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a good bit of POR here, so I can always do that. I was orignally going to POR the frame, but then I remembered how much I hated PORing most of my old 911 five years ago... and decided the money for them to powdercoat it was well worth it

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Get it bare and powdercoat it yourself. I know they can leave things off (like engine mounts for the Chebby guys) but they are not set up to make alterations for aftermarket accesories.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
A lot of people, including me, built a box and installed it from beneath the diagonal then put in the gas tank. Thus, no frame cutting. Also, Dark Water Customs (vendor here) sells trunk additions the do not require cutting.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,613 Posts
George, I love my Cobra Earl Trunk. It was THE most useful mod we made. It did require removing the diagonal, but NO ONE will ever see the powder coating in that location. You'll cut it out with a sawsall or hacksaw and grind down what is left. Probably a 5 minute task deserving of a 15 minute beer break. You can't beat that kind of math.

Earl's aluminum thickness adds back much of the rigidity lost with the diagonal. I wouldn't worry about the powder coating. Just enjoy the build!

I've forgotten now, but if Earl does not include an access hole for the fuel tank sender, cut that out and seal over with a removeable plate while you're back there. Probably another 5 minute task/15 minute beer break.

·
Expert in Training
390 Posts
FFR probably can't do that for legal and liability reasons. I'm sure they have to ship the frame as it was structurally designed.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,406 Posts
If I was going to build another roadster, I would get the frame shipped bare, do all kinds of frame mods, and then get it powdercoated locally.

If you have thought about any of these:

-welding on ground studs
-making modifications for seats
-fabricating a radiator support
-fabricating your own battery box
-changing the location of your e-brake handle
-any custom suspension modifications (example: VPM's front sway bar)

it would be better to get the frame as bare steel from FFR. There's probably a ton of other things that I left off of that list.

With that said, 90% of the frame is hidden when the car is complete. I've painted over several spots where I made modifications to my powdercoated frame. All are hidden from outside and from the engine compartment, and it really doesn't bother me.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
I did my own expanded trunk, cut the supports out then built new steel supports directly above the gas tank to support the dropped trunk floor.

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
note that removing the diagonals on the trans tunnel removes almost all of the stiffness of the backbone. from my FEA the other elements of the backbone exist soley to position those two K braces so compression and tension stiff the chassis. those little tubes are not stiff at all in torsion or bending.

the rear frame is your rear crumple zone as well as holding up the gas tank and body.

my analysis of the FFR frame made me realize there arent any "extra" parts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts