Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started me new motor this morning. Cranked right up. Started it again about 15 minutes later. No problem. Started it again and set the timing. Started two or three times. Now the motor turns over but it smells like gas. White wisps of fuel vapor come out of the sidepipes. I have an adj fuel press reg and had adjusted it up to read 38 lbs with vac attached. Can I be flooding out the motor? Any other ideas?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,021 Posts
Doug Isham, here in Cleveland, just tore his motor down (after 1800 miles) and found that the main bearings were totally shot. When he first started running the car he had a MAP sensor problem. Near as anyone can tell (and no one will ever know for sure), the bad sensor resulted in too much fuel in one of the cylinders. The result - oil wash, with a mixture of fuel and oil instead of just oil in the crankcase. The tell tale sign, smelled like gas when it ran and the oil should have smelled like gas as well. Is that what it is in your case? Beats me - but I'd check the oil and see if it has a smell like gas. Might just be a stuck injector. . .

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brand new motor. I finally got it started and the fuel pressure gauge read 20 lbs. I cranked it back up to 38. We will see what happens.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,800 Posts
For What It Is Worth,

When my Wife's RX-7 was new, and we were living in Michagan, we found that if we started the car on a cold day (or when the computer made the mixture rich for warm up at a fast idle) and shut it off too soon (like moving the car out of the garage and then shutting it off) the rich mixture would "flood the plugs" before the engine quit turning and the car wouldn't start without lots of cranking, with the throttle wide open.

It didn't matter if we tried to start it right away or a day later, the plugs were flooded.

·
Senior Charter Member
516 Posts
The other way to flood EFI is to stroke the gas pedal while cranking. I see it all the time. For EFI to start correctly leave the pedal still until fired.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Originally posted by teamfour:
...I have an adj fuel press reg and had adjusted it up to read 38 lbs with vac attached. Can I be flooding out the motor? Any other ideas?
It should be adjusted to 38psi at idle, with vacuum line OFF.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fuel pressure was at 44 lbs with vac off. I set it to 38. We will see what happens.

Another thought I had was maybe there is air trapped under the ECT sensor. Would this send a cold start signal to the computer even when the motor is hot?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts