Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a newbie to the GTM. Looking at building one in the not too distant future. Has anybody looked at using a Chrysler 300M transaxle for the GTM? I have a 300M w/85K miles on it and the transaxle has been very good (no problems).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Seriously? You are a Continent and several languages away from your transaxle. Even if, Chrysler and Chevy don't make friends.

Hello, I am a newbie to the GTM. Looking at building one in the not too distant future. Has anybody looked at using a Chrysler 300M transaxle for the GTM? I have a 300M w/85K miles on it and the transaxle has been very good (no problems).

·
Premium Member
11,433 Posts
That is a transmission...not a transaxle, unless I'm missing something here. Besides that, I don't think I've ever seen the words "Chrysler" and "Transmission" used in the same sentence without being followed by "rebuilt" or "broken". Honestly, as I sit here, I can't think of a single person I know who owns a Dodge/Chrysler vehicle of any kind who have not had to replace the transmission.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is refered to as a transaxle, the car is FWD, but the engine is north-south, not transverse (east-west). I think the Plymouth Prowler used a version of the same transaxle in a RWD configuration.

·
Still broke & dreaming...
2,205 Posts
The Chrysler family of LH vehicles (Intrepid, 300M, Condorde) used the 42LE transaxle. This transaxle is probably (IMO) the weakest part on these vehices with the exception of the 2.7 liter V6 that they most commonly paired it up with. I've seen a couple turbocharged 3.5's with a little over 320hp and at the crank. The 42LE does not hold up to them for long. The engines didn;t either...

I have an Intrepid with the 42LE and nearly 200k miles on it behind a 2.7 motor. It's definitely NOT built with performance in mind. Look elsewhere.
It is refered to as a transaxle, the car is FWD, but the engine is north-south, not transverse (east-west). I think the Plymouth Prowler used a version of the same transaxle in a RWD configuration.
Same transaxle, just mounted in the rear of the Prowler. The Prowler shared the same LH family 3.5..and only 253HP rated. Again, the weak link is the 42LE.

I suppose you technically "could" use the Prowler 3.5 and 42LE Transaxle, but it sure wouldn' be a SuperCar any more. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input...I would expect some type of beefing up would be required for the massive HP delta

·
Still broke & dreaming...
2,205 Posts
I don't know of any aftermarket for the 42LE, especially any that would support the kind of HP most folks want in the GTM. Sorry. :(

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
I think its would be a bad idea.

However, I know a couple of GT40 cars are using the Renault Transaxle from the Renault 30. I forget the exact name of the transaxle, but it was also used in the Delorean. I don't know if this has been explored.

I gather its ok upto about 350lb ft torque if you get a late, beefed up version so would work in a low hp build.

·
Registered
16,313 Posts
We have had this discussion before, and while I am/was in the camp of don't use it, there were a couple people that recommended modifications and thought it would be OK, IIRC. I would use the search function of this BBS if I wanted more info.

Oh, and I have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I tow with quite a bit and have never had to rebuild the tranny. It has 160,000 miles on it. Knock on wood, of course.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts