Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 3-link is being installed (not retro). The passenger lower control arm seats squarely in the frame mount (though, prior to tightening, there is nearly ¼“ of space between the bushing & bracket) . The driver side LCA does not fit squarely in the bracket. It angles counter clockwise within the bracket with 3/16” space on the diagonal ends.

</font>
  • The full axle width measured from wheel mount to wheel mount surface is 59.0”</font>
  • The axle housing is of equal distance from the end of both 4” frame tubes.</font>
  • The rear end is exactly centered with respect to the frame. (As reference, it was measured with the rear suspended from the axle straps)</font>
  • The LCAs are the same length. (distance between front & back mounting bolts is the same on each)</font>
  • Distances of rear LCA frame mounts from 4” frame tube are not exactly the same at ds and ps. The measurements follow. All measurements of the mounting brackets are from a perpendicular to the inside of the nearest 4” round frame member.
    </font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Driver side:

edge of bracket
    bracket plate ear
    5 3/8 " 8 5/8 " 2X2 weld end
    6 3/8 " 9 5/8 " open end

Passenger side:

edge of bracket
    bracket plate ear
    5 6/8 " 9 0/8 " 2X2 weld end
    6 5/16 " 9 3/8 " open end</pre>[/QUOTE]Of the 4 ds/ps points, only the open-end of the 4”tube-side bracket point are basically the same. And if both the bracket ends mounted to the 2X2 frame member were 3/8” further out, like the ps, it seems that the LCA could slide into place.</font>
Despite those bracket differences, I’m wondering what we are doing wrong or what donor part is not right. Our frame was set in a jig just like the thousands of others owned by the rest of you. And not one builder-member of this household is more than a weekend grease monkey with science/technology degrees.
Can anyone out there set us (or the 3-link straight)?

Also, is it normal for the ds panhard mount to be only ½ “ from the shock mount?

Any suggestions on any part of this will really be appreciated !!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Cant help with the front mounts on the LCA's. Mine went together the same as yours,not lined up. As you torque it down the tab does move in a bit. I finaly switched over to hiem joints on the LCAs. The panhard bar on mine runs about 3/8 inch from the mount, seems ok. Cheers

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was thinking the only resolution was to have both brackets moved/rewelded. (Passenger side because the space is excessive.) Switching to a Heim joint at those brackets is an interesting alternative. Are there any reservations in going that route?
Has anyone else had this problem and what solution did you go with?

-Regarding the panhard bar mount there was an interesting string here where Oldguy said he shaved some material away:
"I ended up trimming both the shock mount and the rod end mount. There's lots of extra material there anyway. Hack away!"

-Oldguy, if you read this, how much space do you now have as a 'safe' margin for the shock??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes indeed. Measured from the closest 4" frame tube to the perpendicular plane of the outermost part of the axle (hub not lug bolts of course) it's 16 1/16 " on both sides. (And yes, I already realize I'm pretty obsessive)

Thank you each for responding ..

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Docside,
As far as the shock and panhard mount, I believe FFR slightly modified the mount. I believe mine was one of the first to ship with a kit and my mount is shaped slightly differently. I also shaved a good 1/2 inch off of mine as they actually hit each other.

Brian

·
I built it myself
641 Posts
Doc, I don't have my car here right now but I installed the 3 link on mine and your picture doesn't look right. If I remember correctly the LCA's angle out away from center from front to rear. Your picture looks like they run straight back to your axle housing brackets. Do you have the right axle housing? I installed my axle by myself with it balancing on a floor jack. It slid right together I can't imagine your's will go together very easy, especially running the bolts through the mount and bushing. I'd give a call to someone at FFR before continuing. MTC. Rick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks All,

On it tomorrow when they open

-BTW, my LCA's angle in a little actually, and I can't imagine any way a misweld in the frame LCA brackets could account for that. If they're really supposed to angle out then i guess I have the wrong size housing. Has Ford produced any shorter rear ends that appear identical to the mustang unless you measure??

Back to the lab again...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts