Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to talk cam shaft options with the shop rebuilding my 5.0 engine today at 1 pm. I would like to maximize the performance without straying from or reprogramming the stock computer. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

THX

· Junior Charter Member
242 Posts

· Official OLD GUY
3,877 Posts
FORD letter cam

If you really don't want to spend another nickle on other stuff and don't want to have to reprogram your computer, stick with an "E" cam from FORD. Great idle, great power in the lower to mid range, already exhaust heavy so when you want to add power adders later, the cam is there for you, still great gas mileage with the right gears. An easy swap with strong improvements without the hassle of re-tuning . . . pretty much plug-n-play.

Just my 2¢

Doc :beerchug:

· Registered
271 Posts
I have the E and I like it. The only - is it doesn't like to drive below 1700 rpm. I have 3.55's and traveling at 45mph in 5th the Cobra surges. We have a lot of secondary roads that have 45 speed limit. The lope is great. With the hood down I don't know how many times people have said "You can tell that is a 427."

· Premium Member
9,683 Posts
Another vote for the E cam. I've used several in stock or near stock engines and they have always worked well.

· Lifetime Journeyman
1,143 Posts
TFS #1 cam here. I have no experience with the E cam, but chose the TFS cam after much research and listening to those more experienced with EFI. Compared to the E, the TFS #1 has a little more lobe separation, which, I understand, is better for EFI. While the intake specs are almost identical, the TFS has more lift & duration on the exhaust side, helping out the Ford heads. According to their specs, the TFS' optimal RPM range is wider, starting at 2K, whereas the E starts at 2500. Both top out at 5500. They sell for about the same $.

With the combination in my sig line (and a stock A9L), I couldn't be happier. Runs strong off the line and sounds great at 900 RPM idle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.