Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Charter Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Got the timing chain cover off and looking at the gear on the cam along with the eccentric.

It looks like I need some kind of a dowel to go into one of the holes and then the bolt goes through the other.

Question - Where do I get the dowel and what is it called?

·
Premium Member
18,143 Posts
There is a dowel pin that fits in to a hole in the front of the cam shaft. This dowel pin also positivly locates the timing gear in the correct position. I bet if you look in there you'll find one.

When I installed my Comp Cams, there were two pins in the box. One longer than the other. The short one is used without an eccentric, the long one with.

Getting the old pin out is not an easy job. You'll need heat and vice grips. It may have to be machined out. Be carefull about putting too much lateral stress on it. If it breaks off, you're hosed.

·
Charter Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense now. Guess I'll have to find out where to get the longer dowel from.

I'll see if I can get the old dowel out tomorrow. Since it is actually sunk below the face of the timing gear, I'll have to pull the gear off and see if I can grab it with something.

·
Charter Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm...The eccentric that I have actually has 2 holes in it (one for bolt and one for dowel).

That would make it easier if it had an integrated tab to fit into the hole, so I wouldn't have to pull the gear and insert a new longer dowel.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Gerald is right, check to make sure your eccentric doesn't have the tab to go in the hole. If it doesn't, get the longer dowel or another eccentric with the tab. I know the eccentric from an '85 mustang GT has the tab, while an '82 GT did not.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Jeff,
I should have a longer dowel in the AM. Call me Friday.
Mike Forte

1 - 7 of 7 Posts