Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my block machined at a shop and they put in new cam bearings at the same time. Tom Monroe's book stresses the importance of checking bearing alignment, and I am unsure about mine. I am not sure how easy it is to visually tell if they are in right since the casting around them isn't square with the bearing, so I am not sure if it is just an illusion that they not aligned, or if they are in right. I did put the cam shaft in, with oil, and it spins with little effort, but it doesn't spin freely, which leads me to believe that everything is lined-up properly. Am I mistaken?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,600 Posts
A long time ago (1982 or so) when I worked in a machine shop, we would use a cam bearing installer to hammer in new cam bearings. To check alignment we would use an old camshaft to see if it would spin by hand; if not, we use a brass rod and hammer and tap (beat more like it) on the camshaft on each side of the bearings. This would usually straighten the bearings. If that didn't work, we would remove the camshaft and look at the bearings for shiny spots that showed where the clearences were too tight.Then we would use a broken piston ring to lightly scrape off the high spots of the bearing. Then use a scotch brite pad to buff it out. This may sound a little brutish but we never had any problems doing it this way. I guess this is a long way to say that your fine if you can turn it by hand. Make sure the oil holes line up correctly.

My the good old days. I would be probably upset if I saw someone doing this on my engine lol.

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
Steve - it sounds fine to me. You can't count on the casting to be perfectly parallel with the edge of the bearing. As long as your cam turns by hand without a lot of effort, you should experience no troubles..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.