Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to do the final alignment on the car and was doing some thinking.
Is there a specification somewhere as to how far from the frame (on each side) the rotor should be? Or to any other reference point?
I set up the arms originally the way the manual had stated, leaving a small amount of threads showing on each hiem joint but later had to adjust out futher due to a slight tire rub on the inside. I measured from the frame to the center of each wheel and have a difference of about 1/4th of an inch from left side to right side.
Do the rear wheels track outside of the front wheels? Does it matter? I'm running the stock mustang spindles with original brakes front and rear (drilled for five lug conversion).
I thought I would make any changes I need to make before I take it in on Tuesday for final alignment.

·
1,589 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,144 Posts
I set mine to be the exact same distance hub-to-hub as a solid exle. I can't remember now what the measurement , but that's what I used.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I'm not using pin drive so mine would be 59.5 I will set it up tonight. It would appear I need to move things out about another half inch.

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
Measure from the rear frame to the rotor and try to eyeball a small amount of camber. The width should be roughly 54.5. A little high on the lower side of the rotor and a little low on the upper to get a little camber. In general the rear mounts are even and the fronts are a little off. The passenger side has more threads showing than the driver on the front lower. Make sure the body is pretty well centered up before you do final measurement. It is more important to fit the body than to be perfect dimensionally on the frame. The alignment will be the final fit. What we do is lock the rear for track and then let the shop adjust toe on the front and camber on the top. HTH, Cheers Richard.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I measured last night and it looks like I need to push the wheels out about 1 1/2 inches to get to the 59.5 rotor to rotor. There also seems to be about 1/2 inch difference from passenger side to driver side to get the tires lined up with the fender lip equally. Currently I have them set equally to the frame rail and I have 58 inches rotor to rotor. I guess that starting point referred to in the manual is not too accurate (just a starting point).

Richard the numbers I got agree with what you said, the passanger side will have more threads (or extend out further, about 1/2 inch) than the drivers side. Is that excessive?

Will this offset, from rear to front, affect how the car drives considering the front will have a track that is not in line with the rear?

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
Remember it is mounting surface to mounting surface. Not rotor edge. In reality leave it a little narrow 59 to 59.25 will be fine. All you are currently doing is mocking up anyway. We bolt a peice of flat stock to a couple of lug nuts and check it that way. We put jack stands under the control arms to simulate ride height. HTH, Cheers Richard.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Richard, Hub to hub rather than rotor to rotor. I'll re-check and see if I need to adjust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts