Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to paint my calipers (95 all 4) the pistins are in. besides cleaning and paint type, is there anything I should know? Just doing a quick check with you guys here. Thanks

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,594 Posts
Wouldn't powder coating be the better way to do that? I don't know, but I would think they would get too hot for paint.
Paul

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmmm....yes champ...but I think some of these guys here used the pepboys paint (calims 900 degree) with success. I was going by the info of another thread.

Will we see you at Knotts?

·
FFR Craftsman
5,833 Posts
Rattlecan (PlastiKote red) paint is fine. When I was doing my calipers, I used a heatgun to help cure the paint in lieu of having an oven (the baking process of powder coating is what gives it it's tough exterior.)

What I find is I can put the heat gun RIGHT ON the paint after it's dried; it'll burn off the masking tape in short order but does nothing to the paint.

Just to prove this point, I Just took my heat gun and set it next to my oven thermomemter. AFter 3 minutes, or so, the needled settled at about 575 deg. I then took one of my painted calipers and set it next to the heat gun for about 3 minutes. Nothing. No peeling or burning. While rotors can get exceedingly hot, the caliper themselves may not get nearly as hot as the rotors. I think 500 degree's isn't too bad.

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
I used the Pep Boys red for calipers. You have to use about 7 coats, but once it cured I spilled brake fluid on it and it wiped right off (don't let it sit too long, though). That's what I would do. To powder coat you have to disassemble the caliper, mask, and then reassemble. Skip that, mask, paint and install!

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in the process and the pepboys one you mentioned above is drying fast so I've coated a few times just befoe it completely dries. Looking so far. Thanks

·
FFR Craftsman
5,833 Posts
yes, I left out "multiple coats". When I went to reinstall the ^$%@@#$#@! boots, I got brake fluid all over the freakin' place but because I used a LOT of coats, no bare metal ever materialized when I was done and cleaned it off. I originally put 3 coats on. After all 4 boots were finally installed, I washed off all of the brake fluid with Marine Clean (not brake cleaner - that'll take paint off too) and masked off the pistons and exposed holes, then applied another 3 coats. Heat gunned it for about 15 minutes each caliper and called it done.

In retrospect, I would say DON'T dismantle the caliper. Just mask it off and go to town with the can0-o-paint.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a little too late for the dismantling and boy....I tell ya...that spring! KILLED ME. But I got ot back in....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts