Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Caliper nipples

753 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  BigRedRPB 
#1 ·
For the nipple that goes into the caliper, how tight do I want to make it?

Is it as simple as thread it on by hand, give it a complete turn with the wrench, then align the tip to where I want it to be. Or do I really want to crank on it and make ceratin it's in there?

#3 ·
I would expect the brake line valve. The bleeder valve on the Wilwood's is preinstalled. I have the same question about installing the brake line fitting. Thanks for asking EFN.

#6 ·
What I ended up doing was threading on by hand, then turning with 3/16'' wrench until I didn't feel that I could make 1 complete turn. Then adjusted the nipple and left it as is.

Unfortunately, thanks to my experimentations, I rounded the hex nut slightly on one of the nipples, so if I ever need to adjust/remove it, I'm probably going to need a whole lot of alchol, vice grips, and swearing =)

#4 ·
For some reason, Wilwood uses a pipe thread on the brake line port. I used some hydraulic line sealant I got at my local speed shop, that looks a lot like liquid Teflon, and hand tightened them. No leaks so far. John

#5 ·
They don't need to be as tight as you think they do. I put mine in hand tight, and then gave them 1 1/2 - 2 turns with a wrench until they pointed in the right direction. So far, no leaks.

#7 ·
Ahhhh...alcohol, vise grips, and swearing. The things that dreams are made of. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.