Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any more information on how I would register a ffr roadster in california, if i could get it as a 60's car (smog exempt) or if I will need to keep it smog legal.
Thanks

·
Registered
891 Posts
bcade,

I am in the process of building a roadster here in California as well. You need to get an SB100 exemption from the DMV so that it can be smogged as a '65 Ford. There are only 500 exemptions per year and in 2004, the they were all gone by the end of February. I heard rumors that the governor was going to resind SB100 but it could be a nasty rumor. Just in case, I have kept all of my smog equipment from my '91 donor. I should be up and running by April 05.

·
Befuddled
560 Posts
There's lots of information here on that topic, definitely do a search but here are the basics:

500 cars each year can be smogged as either the year the engine block was manufactured, or the year the body of the car resembles, at the owners discretion. Obviously we all chose body type and thus only have to meet 1965 smog regulations.

The car is not registered as a 1965 vehicle, though, only smogged as one. The year of registration is the year on the manufacturers certificate of origin you receive from FFR with your kit.

The 500 slots go pretty fast. I think they ran out in March this year.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,595 Posts
Check out this thread on this specific topic.

SB 100

Paul

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
bcade,

I sent you an email with the specific process. California has made it a fairly painless process and we're smog exempt! Unfortunately, they only allow the first 500 cars per year to register under SB100 so you'll need to wait until Jan 2 to start the process.

-Robert

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Unfortunaetly the problem is getting worse here in Calif. The DMV is going after older cars that were registered incorrectly. They have a list of 600 and have started to notify these owners. Here's where the problem comes in, theye are going to give these cars first claim on next years numbers, see where this is going? 500 numbers, 600 notices. That means your into the numbers TWO YEARS down the road.
That's NOT counting the hot rods they plan on going after next.

You may concider using an older engine block, then you only have to but on the smog equiptment that the engine came with, or as a group we need to get the number changed to grandfather these older cars in under.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well since I doubt I would be able to get one of those 500 spots, how would I keep the car smog legal, and with the catalytic converters do the sidepipes still look like theyre 4 into 1 from the outside. And for a smog controlled car what is the procedure to get it registered and street legal. Could I use the title from a 68 mustang I have on the cobra.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Russ, that's the worst news I've gotten since I've started this build. That just plain sucks $*@!#.

·
Senior Charter Member
186 Posts
This news is a disaster! The possibility of not being able to register the car for 2 to 3 years. I'm officially going to start losing sleep over this. Do you know if the improper registration for the older cars was lack of an sb100 certificate, or could it be that other problems existed and the majority have the certificates.(looking for a glimmer of hope here)

-Les

·
7,718 Posts
If you want, use a 1973 or OLDER block. Then you can go to BAR and they will smog check the car based on the year of the block. If it is a '73 or older block, you will need to have only the smog equipment that was required for the year of the motor you have installed. They will certify the smog year and since the motor is older that '73, you will be exempt from bi-annual smog checks.

I used an old block just in case I couldn't get a SB-100 number.

Ray

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Hey, guys, don't give up so easy. Just take Jan 2 as a vacation day, and make a DMV appointment well in advance for right when they open. They may not give many this year, but you only need one (or maybe 20-30 for all the new FFR's in Calif?).

·
3,798 Posts
I would think that there are more than 20 kits being assembled in California at this time. I know of 7 in the Fresno-Clovis-Madera area alone, not to mention all of the ones in the South and North of this state. I plan to be first in line at one of the local DMV offices on January 2nd (I already have it as a vacation day) with all of my paperwork in hand.

·
Registered
764 Posts
if i lived in california , was building a car and had what seems like a good chance that i could not get a sb100 # on jan. 2, 2005, this is what i would consider doing, just hypothetically speaking. i would find out what states are the easiest to register the car as a 1965, sight unseen, then try to locate a family member or good friend who lives in that state. im assuming everyone is following where im going with this subject. now i have been following the T.U. trilogy for the last couple of years and have heard both sides of legal or illegal, so im not trying to turn this into a heated discussion just tossing a subject onto the table. now here is my question, if i live in california and i buy a 1965 ford roadster (ffr) out of state where it was legally registered through the dmv say a year prior and is already on the road , and brought it back home, how will it be registered in california? as a 1965 or would you have to change the title over to a 2004 assembled vehicle and do the sb100 nightmare? now i am not suggesting anyone do anything illegal or try to beat the state out of any tax money that they are due, it would just suck the big one if an individual spent a year building his dream car and had to let it sit in his garage another year because he could not get his sb100 number, and worse case not even the next year either, it just doesnt seem very fare. i feel sorry for the people who are ready to get their cars on the road now but cant, and have to wait till the first of the year and HOPE they can get their car registered. goodluck to everyone who is stuck in this dilemma. vince

1 - 15 of 15 Posts