Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More registration questions for CA for me as I am moving there in a few weeks. The car will not come out until late this year or early next. Since I cannot leave it with CT plates, is it possible to get the SB# before the car is out there or before the other steps in the process are done? Since it is a previously registered car in the family, do I follow the same process to become exempt and do I get taxed on it once it enters CA?

Thanks!

·
15,282 Posts
Do you have a 1965 title on the car in CT, Aaron? I've been waiting years for someone to do a proper, simple title transfer into CA on one of these cars. Please tell me you're my test case.

In any case, no need to rush -- my understanding is that you'll have to line up on the first business day of 2008 to get an SB number, as they run out in the first day or two nowadays.

Cheers, John

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
Aaron:
On Jan.2,2007 at about 8:20 AM I got my SB100 number.
It was 189 out of 500,that's how fast they were going.
I have to imagine in 2008 it will be just the same,so get to the DMV EARLY.

Paul M.

·
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John, unfortunately in CT it is a total crapshoot which title you get and frankly, I don't think Cali would buy it if I had a 65 title.

Can I do the SB number without the car physically in CA?

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
You do not need the car to apply for the SB100 number (if that is the proper process for a previously licensed car). You will need to check with the DMV about what paperwork you will need to start the process. There is some information on the California DMV website about SB100.

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
IIRC, in 2006, they were all allotted by 4:00PM that day. Might of been sooner but hard to approximate. Just get there when the doors open, find out if there are OTHERS in line for the same reason; it's best to stay as a group so once the phone call goes through, she can get everyone all at once. It took out clerk about 30 minutes of continous redialing so it's in your best interest to gather a group of SB100's and have one clerk call in for everyone at once.

·
Administrator
7,014 Posts
Aaron if you are going to be in SoCal from now on I highly recommend going to San Clemente on Jan 1 and registering the car that day. I believe you will be able to get the number at the same time.

·
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
San Clamente is the DMV from which the numbers originate? How much will the whole registration cost and what govt officials or workers can I talk to about registering a previoudly registered car?

·
566 Posts
I believe if the car has more than a certain amount of miles on it (1500 + maybe) the transfer should be no problem. An SB 100 requires the orig MSO and I assume you have already given it to your state yes?

Henry

·
Administrator
7,014 Posts
No, the numbers come from a central office in Sacramento. What you want is a DMV field office that knows what it's doing and has a procedure already set up for those who show up Jan 1 (or first day of operation in the new calendar year).

I thought the numbers could be applied to kit cars coming into the state. You might find references to the process in the archives for previously registered vehicles.

HTH,

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Although Convoyhank may have it right and the transfer may not be a problem, here is a quote right off of the DMV website...it appears that if your car has a model year that is new (not 1965)then you may want the SPCNS certificate

"Previously registered vehicles may be included as one of the first 500 applicants in a calendar year and apply for a different model-year determination."

CaliCobra (Andy)brought in his FFR from out of state. PM him and he may have some insight for you.

·
Senior Charter Member
509 Posts
Be there, apply for a number, and complete the process when your car gets here...car need not be present to apply...getting the number is the key element...then you can complete the process at your leisure.

·
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I assume I do not need the B&L as well as the CHP since I am previously legally registered in CT as a 2003 Composite...I just need the SBCN# to change the year to an exempt one?

·
Charter Member
4,717 Posts
Don't assume anything in California! Been there, Done that!

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
Even though it is already registered, you might need to see the CHP for VIN verification. Also, the DMV makes the determination on B&L. It might be clerk discretion.

·
Tool Collector
6,608 Posts
Heres one for the group. How long is the SB100 Number good for? Do I want to wait until I am closer to finishing or can it go on for more than a year once the number has been established? I would hate to have to go to DMV more than I need to. A person can only take so much torture.

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
At present, the SB100 number does not expire after being issued to you, so you can go more than a year (I went almost three) before finalizing the registration. But, this is Kalifornia so nothing is forever.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I have insider info on the numbers and it did me no good. My job takes me into all govt. offices including the DMV. I did a lot of asking around here's what I found out. The office that gives out the numbers the place where everyone and their brother calls on the 1st day of business is not open to the public and it is in Sacramento. All field offices stand an equal chance on getting you that coveted SPCNS #. Find a field office that knows what they are doing, get there at start of business and pray that their phone doesn't go dead.

·
Charter Member
129 Posts
How long is the SB100 Number good for? Do I want to wait until I am closer to finishing or can it go on for more than a year once the number has been established? I would hate to have to go to DMV more than I need to. A person can only take so much torture.

I have had my sb # since 2004, as long as you pay you pay fees every year, go in Dec, they don't care keep it current

1 - 20 of 33 Posts