Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I try to go the normal registration route, can I switch to sb100 if I have too much trouble? I figure I have all the smog equipment anyway. I would just have to figure out the egr plumbing and get cats. Is a enclosed air cleaner required to pass smog?

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
Is a enclosed air cleaner required to pass smog?
By the above, I assume you are going with a normally asperated (carbed) engine. If that is the case, I doubt you could get the vehicle to pass smog, even with CATS, etc. That's just my humble opinion.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2004 4.6 DOHC EFI

·
Charter Member
607 Posts
Once the car is registerd, there is no going back. If you just start the process you shouldn't have a problem swithcing over to SB100. Go to the westminster DMV and talk to the manager (I think), she is black and in her 30s. She got me through the process and seems to know all about it.

If you are worried that you wont pass smog, just take it to a smog inspection place and see what it does. K&N intake kits are open so you shouldn't have a problem there. Good luck.

·
Charter Member
1,319 Posts
Do an Sb100 registration- its really very easy (although somewhat time consuming)as long as you dot your I's and cross your t's.

Step 1: (Most important step!)Get in line at
0600 1-2-2006 at your local DMV. Make sure you have your Certificate of Origin (from FFR)and your invoice with the total cost of the car. You'll also need the invoices for your engine and transmission (or the donor bill of sale)PLan on spending at least 4 hours and ~$1,300 this trip. (They will charge you sales tax for anything you didnt pay tax on, including the KIT FROM FFR, and the donor and any engine/trans parts).

Step 2: Once the car is drivable, make appointment at BAR referee, there you will get your smog exemption- tell them you are smogging by BODY. You do NOT want to smog by engine year its a huge hassle and you will then have to bi-ennial smog checks, and your car will have higher resale value if its smog exempt.

Step 3: Make appt. at CHP, take car to them (with all aforementioned paperwork) the nice officer is supposed to confirm that your engine is not stolen(mine didnt even look at anything)and he will affix VIN plate.

Step 4: Get brake and lamp inspection at local repair facility, they will give you a form DMV needs after you pass.

Step 5: Return to DMV and if you have all the documents in order, you'll get your plates and tags that day, right over the counter.

I have it on good authority that there will be no shortage of SB-100 numbers next year caused by the street-rod builders and turn-key professional Cobra kit manufacturers illegally scooping up all the numbers, but it couldnt hurt to start early anyways. (Do a search on sb100 here for more info)

--Giff <--- on a mission from God to stop Sb100 CHEATERS!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
Paul,

I think your path is a smart way to go; proceed with your build to meet the smog requirements of your 4.6. If you are lucky enough to get one of the 500 numbers next year, then you are in better shape. If not, then you can go the route of smogging it the year of the motor and try again for an SB100 (you actually would qualify under SB1578, as I did this year) next year. If you rely on getting an SB100 number, and you fail, then the car will have to sit for another year.

·
Registered
24 Posts
curious, the motor i have was given to me by my uncle 5yrs ago and he got it some time in the 80's. it's a 71 429scj, now how do i prove where it came from?

·
Senior Charter Member
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
smg,
I would get a bill of sale from your uncle. Have him make it out for $1

·
Senior Charter Member
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Giff and Ken,
I just figure if I am ready in a couple months why wait. You both make good points. I hope there will be ample sb 100 numbers. I do plan to be at the dmv January, 2 2006. My main problem is that is the busy season for me at work. It is possible that I won't be able to get off work then. That would suck.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
Paul, You definately want to get an SB100 number. But there are many disappointed owners that did not get one this year, some of which were there in the first few days of the year. This leads me to believe that there will be people that are waiting in line on Jan 2 that will not get a number in 2006.
SMG, the more info you can provide the smog ref, the better. Do a rubbing of the block and photo copy the page of a ford manual that details what the engine came out of. Without an SB100 number, you would need the smog equipment that came with the '71 to be installed on the engine.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Originally posted by Paul Westerbeck:
Giff and Ken,
I just figure if I am ready in a couple months why wait. You both make good points. I hope there will be ample sb 100 numbers. I do plan to be at the dmv January, 2 2006. My main problem is that is the busy season for me at work. It is possible that I won't be able to get off work then. That would suck.
Explain it to your employer, take a personal day, take a vacation day, do whatever it takes. 30 days prior to Jan 2, you can make an appointment with your local DMV. If you make it that soon ahead of time, you'll be able to get the first appointment of the morning. If you are there at 8:00 am, with an appointment, and all of your paper work is absolutely perfect, you'll get your number. Follow this process:

http://cis.vvc.edu/~feddersenr/pics/CobraRegistration.pdf

1 - 11 of 11 Posts