Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone

I'm brand new to the boards but have been lurking for awhile. With the potential problem of obtaining registration through the SB 100 process I was wondering if there is anyone who has been able to register their car in CA to the year of the donor. It seems this should be possible by installing all of the factory emissions equipment and the cat. converters from FF5.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I really don't think there's going to be a problem registering in CA using SB100. You'll have to wait until January to obtain your SB100 number, but it usually takes most guys a year to build their car.

If you don't use SB100, you will not have the option of registering the car based on the donor year, it would be based on the year you complete the car and file for registration. Good luck getting a late 80's or 90's block to pass 2005 restrictions.

SB100 gives you the option of meeting the smog requirements of either the year the car represents or the year of the block. Personally, I'd take the year the car represents.

Here's a great doc to take a look at for the SB100 process: http://cis.vvc.edu/~feddersenr/pics/CobraRegistration.pdf

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I register our car w/SB100 the car is registered under the year of the body style.
But dealing with CA DMV can be a royal pain in the A**.
Make sure you have all your paperwork in order and ready to go.

Good Luck!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
607 Posts
California also lets you smog a car from the year of the motor. The really means the year of the block. If its an option, build a motor from an early block and make sure they know that. Also, You are in a good position to get all set up and be in line after the first of the year to get one of the sb100 #s. You dont have to be all ready to fire up or pass smog, just get the # which is a place in line or a reservation for when you do get ready for smog and title. Wecome to the forum.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
Racr, For a late model donor, need to retain the smog equip for the year, add FFR cats and have a check engine light.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Originally posted by STEVE C.:
California also lets you smog a car from the year of the motor. The really means the year of the block. If its an option, build a motor from an early block and make sure they know that. Also, You are in a good position to get all set up and be in line after the first of the year to get one of the sb100 #s. You dont have to be all ready to fire up or pass smog, just get the # which is a place in line or a reservation for when you do get ready for smog and title. Wecome to the forum.
With all due respect, it's my understanding that SB100 allows you to smog based on the block year or the year the car represents. If you register the car without SB100, you must meet the year of registration's smog requirements regardless of the block's year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. The different posts about CA registration has made me a bit paranoid. (eg: last years numbers were gone by February, Coddington and other builders grabbing numbers.) I was considering purchasing a kit early next year and with a 6 to 7 month projected build time would mean waiting 5 to 6 months to begin the registration process with no way of knowing if a SPCN would be issued.

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Feddersen, as far as know and have always been told, it's the year of the engine. It's registered as the year you do the paperwork but smog requierments are based on year of motor.This is why I had the Engine Factory build my coupe motor with the earliest 351W block made, 1969, incase SB100 didn't pass. I could reg. with 69 smog equiptment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.