Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At work we generally use UGS/SDRC-Ideas for mechanical design, but sometimes we use other packages depending on the job and needs of our collaborators. I've been using our single old copy of Inventor (V5 (V10 is the latest)) for the last year on a new project. We're going to need more seats so are talking about upgrading.

I'm compiling a list of questions for the local reseller and hope to schedule a demo soon. Based on my experience with the old version, I'm sure it is a slick and easy/fun to use product, so my main concerns are the data management vault and the ammount of IT support needed. The old one had no data management (bad) and needed no support (good). Ideas, on the other hand, requires constant fiddling (very bad).

Does anyone out there have any experience using a recent release of Inventor and can you tell me what your impression is of its data management system and how much care & feeding it needs?

Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hey Greg
How is the car going.
I am just starting to get into Inventor right now.
I have 9 installed. Vault is included with the package. I have not installed it yet though. We are going to upgrade to 10 soon. It does have some nice stuff.
I wish I could be more helpful. But I am just getting started.
Steve

·
Premium Member
5,527 Posts
Sorry to toss another variable in the mix but...Are you only interested in Inventor? I have been using Solidworks lately and have found it a bit more powerful than Inventor. My old office did some research (20 engineers) on the two and found Solidworks to be better for our application (mechanical design).
SW also has a PDM works and Solidworks Explorer with many aftermarket products available like "Javelin".

·
Senior Charter Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve -- I hope to get some quality-time in on the build this weekend (unlike last weekend). Clean up & install the donor master cylinder and start cockpit riveting. I hope your drive towards registration is going well.

Matt -- We are building equipment that fits into somebody else's stuff, and they are saying they will want prints in Autocad. So Inventor was specified as a given, but I'd like to get an independent indication of what to expect in terms of necessary IT support (I have fears based on my bad Ideas experiences).

I've looked into Solidworks for a different project since those end users use SW. It looked like a very good product. But since Ideas is paid for by the division and SW would have to come out of project money (not yet an approved project = small budget at the discretion of the division head), that descision was easy. It's hard to compete with something that is "free".

As a side note, last fall while visiting that project's site I saw a real piece of equipment (the GNIRS telescope camera) whose model is shown in the SW advertising brochure. Since we're looking at making something similar, I thought that was really proof that this was a product we could use for that project.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,500 Posts
Hi
I Use UG for my work, autocad 2000 for 2d and I just bought the newest solid works.
Everyone I know who uses the autocad inventor isnt too happy with it. it is not a very robust system.
SOlid works has best of both, it has an autcad emulator built in. Any solid works dwg can converted perfectly into autcad.

I have been a UG guy for almost 10 years now, but I tell you solid works has it all, very cool. And for the price $5000. (i padi 4K you can negotiate) you cant beat it

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
There are featureless versions of solidworks and proE that are available from the MFG's for free. There are also student versions that are full featured and very cheap if you know an engineering student at a school with a liscense agreement with one of the companies.

UG is awesome. Hard to use at first compared to solidworks/proE, but really really powerful.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Boy, Aaron sure go that right. My younger son is going to double major in physics and math, and one of the requirements for upper division math is a piece of software called Mathmatica. The best price I could find it for was $1880,. but my other son was able to buy it at the bookstore for $130. Quite a discount...

All the best,
Tag

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I've been a UG user for over 17 years now and other than a little work with AutoCad, It's all I'm familiar with. I've heard a lot of good things about Solid Works though. A couple of guys at work are former Solid Works users and they prefer it over UG.

Charlie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts