Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Cable Housing slips through grommet

450 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  chetlaw 
#1 ·
I'm installing a Lokar SS throttle cable on a small block 427" Windsor with dual quads. After trimming the cable as per the instructions, it is approx 42 inches long. My problem is the cable housing slips through the grommet on the firewall end when I push down on the pedal. This prevents the inner cable from activating the throttle. I am hesitant to compress the grommet for fear it will cause the throttle to stick. Help! Please?

#2 ·
Fab a washer/spacer out of a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum. Drill a hole in it just big enough for the cable to slip through, but retain the sheath. Install it at the firewall end of the cable. The "washer" will prevent the sheath from sliding through the the grommet when you mash the pedal. John

#3 ·
Thank you for the suggestion, but, unless I'm not understanding it correctly, I don't think it will work. The grommet goes into a 5/16" hole in the firewall. It goes iin about 3/4" and is stopped by a shoulder on the grommet itself.

#4 ·
Your Lokar throttle cable should have come with a threaded "joint" (don't know the proper name) that that goes on each side of the firewall that fastens the outer housing to the firewall. You do have to dismantle the cable components and thread the cable through the firewall from the engine side and reassemble the threaded connector from the footbox side. Took me a few beers to figure it out.

#5 ·
This cable did not. I'm aware of the threaded end you are referring to.m However, I bought the 48" Universal cable. It comes with a different type of end on the firewall end. The threaded end is on the carb end. On the firewall end is a tight-fitting sleeve like fitting that has a shoulder to keep it from going through the firewall. Thanks for the suggestion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.