Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of going with a 4.6 motor and trans form a late model mustang for my MRK3.My question is if I do not get one of the 500 passes the dmv gives out a year can I get the car registered and smogged in ca.What would I have to do to the motor to pass smog? Is there certain years that are better then others.Would love to get some advise from someone that has done this in ca.thanks, pete

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,934 Posts
I'm not in Cali but in metro Atlanta and I have to make mine emmissions compliant for the year my car is built (2005 or 2006). I would guess that as long as you leave all the factory emmissions equipment intact and run the factory ECM and convertors it should pass no problem. One other note the newer the car generally the cleaner they burn due to the advacments in technology.Hope this was of some help.

·
Senior Charter Member
366 Posts
Pete,

I'm not there yet, but pretty much have this figured out. You're going to need a "Certificate of Sequence", which is what SB100 is all about. It shouldn't be that difficult, as long as you plan ahead. If your goal is to build your car and drive it this year, you're screwed. You will need to fully comply with ALL the CA emissions requirements that apply to the year of your motor. However, if you apply for your initial registration on Jan. 2 2006, your vehicle can be registered (according to law) according to the year of the body (it's appearance) OR the year of the engine. Obviously, you want to use the body style, which would be 1965 for an FFR. Under those circumstances, the vehicle would be smog exempt, and the registration would reflect "first year sold" as 2006, and a SPCNS date of 1965 for emissions purposes. Confused yet? Search the dmv.ca.gov website for SB100, read the law, and check the link on the page for the other relevant legislation. The 500 exemptions will be gone by the 4th or 5th of January, I plan on having my appointment for first thing Monday morning on the 2nd. I'm not in a rush, and I'm not taking chances.

Allan

·
Charter Member
1,386 Posts
If you get the SB100 number, you can register your car according to body type (1965), and then you don't have to smog it. Or (your choice), you can register it according to engine date, in which case you would have to smog it.

I don't have a 4.6. I've got a 302, and no smog. I'm registered, but it isn't running yet so I haven't gotten the through the final process. Do a search and you'll find a ton of SB100 info on this board.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,784 Posts
mrk3cobra,
I just went through the SB100 sequence this year.
Look at the DMV web site and get the instructions and forms. On ffcars was a detailed write-up about the process. I filled out the forms and got all my receipts together for engine, transmission, miscellenous items and kit. I put together detailed spreadsheets for each area and wrote a summary spreadsheet for the totals. The DMV clerk will calculate the tax required from these spreadsheets-show your taxes that you paid for the items.

You will need your certificate of orgin from Factory Five, the receipts and the filled out forms. On December 3rd, you should make an appointment for your January 2nd visit. I made a similar appointment on line and got a 10AM appointment on January 3rd, 2005. When I was finished, my SB100 number was 221! They were gone on January 4th. The clerk will use the procedure and check your paperwork. Then he/she will call Sacramento for a SB100 number. Be prepared to write a check for the total or pay cash-DVM doesn't take credit cards. When you are done, you will have your paperwork back with a red temporary operating permit(good for 90 days). In a few days, you will get an official pape-in the mail-for your SB100 registration showing the SPCN sequence number and step-by-step instructions for dealing with the smog referee.

You will need to do the following before you get your registration and plates: (The car should be running, but body work does not have to be complete)

1) Get an appointment with the CHP office nearest to you that has a "VIN" officer. They will look at your paperwork, check to see if all the parts are not stolen and "build" and apply a blue 1" x 3" VIN tag (with CHP-derived number) to your frame.
2) With your new VIN number, call the BAR smog referee appointment center and tell them you are applying for an SB100 appointment using the script shown in your SB100 paperwork from DMV.
3) Show up at the smog referee appointment with all your paperwork and they will enter it into the computer. It should be smogged by "bodystyle year"-not engine year! They will ask you to drive the car into the bay where they will test (idle and 2500 RPM)and exempt it for SB100. You will get a polyestervinyl sticker that they will apply in the engine compartment that exempts the vehicle from smog tests forever!
3) You will need a brake and light inspection by a DMV approved garage. The garage will have signs outside or in the window that they are authorised to do this service. They will check lights for proper operation and aim the headlights. The brakes will be completely inspected by checking pads, shoes, rotors and drums for thickness. They will them reassemble everything and check stopping distance at 20 MPH. Both of these inspections will be written up on a form to submit to DMV. I paid $140.00 for this service.

To get your registration and plates, you will need to return to DMV with the paperwork and the brake and light inspection forms to submit. DMV will then go through the paperwork, put it together to submit, "build" a registration form on the computer and give you your plates. They didn't care about proof of insurance, but I had that along just in case.

I carried everything in the car folded in half in a one-gallon freezer bag so the paper wouldn't get wet and wouldn't blow away.

Good luck on your build!
Best regards,
Chuck
"Mustang Medic"

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
I've gone through both processes; properly registering my '93 powered car with and without SB100.

The first pass the car needed to have ALL the smog controls that originally came with the motor. The FFR cats were sufficient for replacement of the mustang cats and I also had to add a check engine light in the cockpit. I've heard question if the current cats are CA approved or not...not sure about that.

The SB100 path eliminates the need to have the above mentioned smog equipment. There were a lot of people that wanted one this year that did not get one. I can't imagine that next year will be any different. In fact it will probably be worse, so have a good strategy in hand to get a sequence number if you are going to plan this route.

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
TNCobra

How would this work on an old (pre smog) motor?
I am considering putting a 67 block in my cobra with modern top end.

How does the registration process work for this application? Is it easy to register a old motor without using SB100?

·
Senior Charter Member
366 Posts
MattT,

I highly suggest that you go to:

www.dmv.ca.gov

and search for SPCNS (special construction) registration. In a nutshell, using a pre-76 block will allow you to avoid most emissions requirements, "based on the appearance of the engine", and according to the BAR referee. That being said, I would probably ditch the modern top end and go traditional, thereby eliminating all doubt. In any case, you will need to satisfy the referee with all the applicable emissions equipment for the year of your engine (or what your engine appears to be, according to the referee).

Also remember that virtually all pre-68 Ford engine blocks have NO engine numbers, you may need to educate the referee on Ford casting numbers to establish the year of the block. There is also a limit to what you can do with the 289 blocks, they aren't quite as strong as the 68-up 302's (which DO have engine numbers). Now, all bets are off if you are going with an FE, but do you really want to pay the weight penalty?

Allan

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
Matt,

I would recommend doing what Allan said, as most questions can be answered right from the DMV site. You should be able to avoid all the problems if you use a pre-smog year engine.

If your smog ref. is close by, you may also want to visit them and ask them directly. Undoubtably, there are grey areas, such as an old block with new heads. You could argue that either way. I know the guys at the Sacramento office (Arco Arena) wouldn't have a problem talking discussing it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts