Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Master Student
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up a (very) partially built MK4. The front suspension was the only thing completed. I have unloaded everything in the garage and I'm now going through all the boxes to see what I have. The previous owner purchased a 4.6 SOHC with a Ford Racing PI kit which I will install when I go through the donor motor & transmission. It has a 3 link rear end that I need to completely assemble. My first car was a little different with IRS and a 5.0. I feel a little close to the edge of my comfort zone with this motor/trans/rear set-up but I don't think it will be too bad.
I'm excited to get going on it and see the progress. I'll post updates through the build and thanks in advance for all your input.

Here is the first delivery.

Here is the second delivery.

·
Snake Farmer
10,323 Posts
Congrats on the new car Doug!:)

Shouldn't be any hesitation on the 3-link install, it's actually pretty straight forward. Tranny, again pretty straight forward. The only thing that might cause you question, is the 4.6 engine, if your not familiar with them. Much larger for one thing...

Nice you have a new project, I look forward to the progress reports.:)

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Doug, I built a MK3 with a 4.6 SOHC and it was a strong, reliable engine . . . until I sold it. (The buyer was looking for a 4.6 FFR.) The 4.6 caused some head scratching for this old-school guy but learning about the electronics was rewarding. There are some very knowledgable 4.6 guys here and on the other forum for when you are baffled.

Congrats and have fun!
Pete

·
Master Student
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the pedals installed last night including FFRs new clutch fix. I'm not sure how I feel about the fix. I'm worried it will limit the movement of the clutch pedal when all is said and done.

Now it's on to the completely dis-assembled rear end. I'm not even sure what I have but I think its from a 98 Mustang GT. The Axle housing is 56" end to end. Does anyone have a diagram of parts for this axle? I think I'm missing a few. All I have is a box of parts. I have two sets of gears. One is 3.55 which is what I will use. Im not sure which ring gear is right though. The other looks to be the original set of probably the 2.??.
The first question is... I have seen mods where the quad shock mount was cut off the axle (see JKleiner post #10 and ryans88gt post #41) The previous owner has had the axle parts powder coated and this would really screw up a nice paint job.
The second question is, I'm missing the rear caliper assembly. What parts are needed to complete the rear brakes and does anyone sell these parts as a unit. The only thing I have is what is shown in the pictures below.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,489 Posts
Hey Doug, Congratulations on the new kit. Looks like its going to be real nice when youre done! Here are a couple answers to your questions... As for the ring gears, usually the tooth count is stamped around the circumference of the ring gear. For example I have a set of 3.08s in the basement and the numbers are 13 and 40. The pinion will have 13t and the ring gear will have 40. If you divided the ring gear teeth by the pinion teeth you will get the gear ratio. That should help you ID which ring gear goes with which pinion. As for the rear end housing, I measured one in the back yard and I got about 55-1/2" so I would say yours is about the same at 56" depending how we measure. Your brake options will be dictated on your wheel/tire size. For example, keeping the axles and brake brackets you have, that would give you an SN-95 width rear. It is widely accepted that the Fox width rear is the most desirable for wheel fitment, especially when you want to run a 315 on the back. If you are happy with a 275, then you can just get some calipers and pads and use the axles and brake brackets you have. Overall the rear will be 1.5" wider but it should place the tires close to the fenders and it will look good. If you went to a 315 it would stick out slightly and look a little odd. Mind you keeping Fox width allows you to use off the shelf 10.5" wheels and the wider tires. SN-95 width would limit you to a 9" wheel and a 275. The choice is yours, you need to figure out your wheel/tire combo and then go from there. Richard Oben can give you good advice on wheel/brake combos to best suit your taste and he can sell you all the necessary brake parts, brackets and axles to make it all work together. Good Luck with it and keep us posted.

Mike

·
Master Student
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rear end is in! :w00t: I finished rebuilding and installing the rear end last night. Boy does that feel good. Now, on to the brakes, steering and fuel. I hope to have them completed by year's end. I thought bending the lines were going to be pretty tough but were much easier than I thought so this one should go pretty quick.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,631 Posts
Brakes could be had from North Racecars, Forte, or Gordon Levy.

·
Master Student
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Craig. I have most of the brake components. The rear calipers were left at the old owners place. He is shipping them to me.
The day went better than I thought. I had to take the front end apart to drill and rivet the "F" panels and install the front calipers. I found the same problem that I found in my MK3. The calipers hit the spindle bracket so I gad to grind some material off to make clearance. The Drivers side was worse than the passenger side. I also got the fuel tank put together and somewhat installed. I just need to find the little plastic caps somewhere in the boxes and put in the last two bolts. Brake and fuel lines tomorrow. :001_smile:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Wow! Just saw this thread. Congrats Doug. It will be a fun build to watch.

·
Master Student
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's been a while since I posted so I'l catch up. I installed the steering last week and I started to have problems with the steering gear being too long, really long. I posted a thread with my problem and, as usual, I got a lot of help. I found out the steering arms were the wrong ones. FFR sent out to the original owner the 33 arms, not the roadster arms. I finally finished the front suspension and steering tonight. Here is a pic from before with my problem.

The difference in the steering arms.

Here it is with the correct arms installed in the correct direction. (see link above)

I picked up the tires and had them mounted last week as well. The front tires look good with 235/60R15. The rear tires (275/60-15) were way too tall so I reordered the rear tires and went with 295/50-15. Here is the comparison between the front and rear tires before the change...

I worked on finishing the gas tank installation. FFR either didn't send out the plastic 3/4" tube plugs or they just got lost somewhere. I found some at Lowes and got them installed tonight and finished the fuel tank install. I've found the best way to install the tank is to get a ratcheting motorcycle/ATV tie-down and position it under the metal strap that goes around the tank and start tightening until you can get the nut started. I will have to undo it when I install the trunk aluminum since it goes through the aluminum and is exposed on the inside of the trunk...

I also worked on the rear brakes. I found the right pads and now I need to find the parts in this picture. I was hoping to just go pick them up from the local auto parts store but they haven't seen parts like these and didn't know where to get them.

Do I really need to go to FFR for these?

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Brake lines

Hi Doug,
I sell DOT approved Russell stainless braided brake lines if you still need them...

It's been a while since I posted so I'l catch up. I installed the steering last week and I started to have problems with the steering gear being too long, really long. I posted a thread with my problem and, as usual, I got a lot of help. I found out the steering arms were the wrong ones. FFR sent out to the original owner the 33 arms, not the roadster arms. I finally finished the front suspension and steering tonight. Here is a pic from before with my problem.

The difference in the steering arms.

Here it is with the correct arms installed in the correct direction. (see link above)

I picked up the tires and had them mounted last week as well. The front tires look good with 235/60R15. The rear tires (275/60-15) were way too tall so I reordered the rear tires and went with 295/50-15. Here is the comparison between the front and rear tires before the change...

I worked on finishing the gas tank installation. FFR either didn't send out the plastic 3/4" tube plugs or they just got lost somewhere. I found some at Lowes and got them installed tonight and finished the fuel tank install. I've found the best way to install the tank is to get a ratcheting motorcycle/ATV tie-down and position it under the metal strap that goes around the tank and start tightening until you can get the nut started. I will have to undo it when I install the trunk aluminum since it goes through the aluminum and is exposed on the inside of the trunk...

I also worked on the rear brakes. I found the right pads and now I need to find the parts in this picture. I was hoping to just go pick them up from the local auto parts store but they haven't seen parts like these and didn't know where to get them.

Do I really need to go to FFR for these?

·
Master Student
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It has been so cold that I have found it difficult to find the motivation to go work in the garage but today it hit 45 so i got a few things done.
I got all the parts for the rear brakes, cleaned the calipers, painted them and installed them. Mounted the fuel filter. Mounted the gas pedal. Mounted the tires and I HAVE A ROLLER! It was a good day.

·
Master Student
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i forgot to post the rear brakes. These are used calipers and they were in pretty rough shape to begin with but I finally got them all cleaned up and installed. the rear rotors had a lot of rust on them from sitting. they cleaned up pretty good. I didn't get a picture of them before but here they are installed.

·
Master Student
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven't had a lot of time the last few weeks with everything going on but I was able to get a lot done yesterday and today. Last week was the Salt Lake Autorama where I put my roadster in FFRs booth. The show was not as full as previous years and it felt like we were shoved clear down on the end. The show turned out good nevertheless and I even took home an "Outstanding in Class" award.

Yesterday I finished all the brake system. all I need to do is mount the reservoirs and bleed the brakes. Boy it feels good to have that part done. I don't know why bending the metal tubing is so stressful for me. :confused1:

·
Master Student
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Today the temperature was in the 50s so I said "forget it" and went for a ride. Man, I had a great time. I got several comments, thumbs up and stares. It looked like a parade with all of the bikers and old cars out. I can't wait until spring. When I came back, I got to work and finished the fuel system by bending all of the lines and hooking everything up.

Then I moved on to drilling. I finished drilling out the passenger footbox and the firewall. I drilled some of the drivers footbox but didn't finish it today. I think one more good day and all of the drilling should be done. FFR sent out an aluminum template with the MK4s that has been a huge timesaver. I lay that thing down and as quick as I can, pop a few marks and drill. By this point with my first build, I had broken at least 10 bits. This time I'm still on my original bit.

·
We know what you're up to
4,700 Posts
Nice progress Doug! I have to admit, seeing your car at the Autorama seriously makes me consider painting mine blue...it looks amazing!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts