Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a subscription to C&D and found the comparison of FFR's Cobra to the other 4 cars completely stupid and biased. How in the world could the FFR entry TOTALLY dominate the PERFORMANCE section of the comparisons and still come in dead last. The biggest slam from C&D seemd to be about the steering on the FFR entry. The C&D driver must have been so scared silly by the roar and power he had under him that his mind and other vital organs must have let loose. Our car steers perfectly, I find myself unintentionally going into curves up here in these Pennsylvania mountains at speeds I can't believe. Our son and daughter-in-law have a Honda S2000 and it IS a nice car but I am looking for RAW performance and the our FFR #2928 delivers. C&D is free to screw up all they want but I will never be convinced, based on their own figures. Irritating.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,526 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Everyone here agrees with you. There have been a handful of posts about this over the last few weeks, so you probably won't see many replies here. If you do a search, you can see some of the other comments.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The comparison really was a joke. If you read the beginning carefully you find they wanted to test the Lotus, and wanted to pull together some cars to test against. The article is really just an advertisment for the Lotus. They complained about the harsh ride on the FFR and they praised the same thing on the Lotus. The article was pure trash, don't take is seriously.....

Dan

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I never jumped in before, but I've honestly got to say it didn't really bother me. Those that know me know I love my FFR, so I'm not siding with anyone. However, I didn't find their review of the FFR all that bad. They didn't say it was a piece of junk, and in fact they seem to give a lot of exposure and attention to FFR lately. Tests, it's been in their daily calendar at least 4 times in the past several months. The steering issue is probably subject to the individual car. But beyond that, they really weren't THAT hard on it.
Besides, does it really bother you that much what they say? I've been a C&D subscriber since I was about 12 years old and am a big fan, but I always keep in mind that's just the opinion of a few select car guys. I use their info as a rough guide and entertainment, but I'll decide for myself what I like and don't like.

Steve

·
Premium Member
18,143 Posts
Historically, C&D have been great fans of foreign cars. On in recent years have they made a few positive comments about American built cars. I stopped reading that rag regularly a decade ago because of that.

·
6,559 Posts
The Elise really doesn't do anything for me. I can't put my finger on it, but it just looks a little silly to me.

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
TB the problem is obvious: you didn't post a RED Elise!

·
Registered
851 Posts
If you watch C&D television they repeatedly pull out old issues of the magazine and then come right out and say the article from the "old days" was biased for this or that reason.

C&D has a history of this going back 30 years. This is no surprise.

·
15,282 Posts
Bob...A decade ago (and many believe even now) there wasn't a whole lot of positive stuff to say about 95% of the cars that American manufacturers were building. I think it was as much fact as C&D bias. I feel neither way about C&D, nor the article. On the whole, with incredibly few exceptions, import cars continue to test very favorably against their American counterparts -- especially the dominant players from Japan and Germany.

Now, the Cobra is patently American, even if it started out as an AC. :D Let's just build ours and enjoy them, even if in spite of some editor at some car magazine!

Cheers, John

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
Read the story and you'll get some insite on why the FFR and 7 came in the last 2 spots. They started their first 2 days of driving in a monsoon (from their descriptions) and didn't like getting wet and cold. Well, can't blame them for not liking being wet and cold, but come on! Dave's FFR started out without even a top for this test and they had to get a last minute hardtop installed. Oh, no wipers either! I really think that these issues affected the outcome dramatically. If they had postponed the testing until it was nice out, then the outcomes might have been different. I don't know about the setup on Dave's car, but I see him at the track with COM, so I'd expect it's setup for him to do well with time trials. With less sticky tires and neutral steering setup (maybe with power steering), they'd be less scared. If you look at the outcome, they really rated this from the view of a practical street car that's fun to drive. The FFR would fare better in a shootout with Vipers, Devens and Rotus 7's in some pure performance tests with some street driving between test grounds.

They did say that when they parked the cars, people pretty much ignored the other cars and made B lines directly to the FFR. :D

·
Senior Charter Member
710 Posts
Maybe if Riha had aligned the damn thing (maybe it's set up for autocross?), they would have liked it more.

Anyone who reads C&D regularly knows they have been very complimentary to FFR cars in the past.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Mikey,
Exactly. They've brought a lot of attention to FFR, most of it positive. No, the Cobra didn't finish first, but as I said, that's their opinion. Styling aside, I think the Elise is an awesome car. Talk about an open track runner. Light as a Cobra, solid, Lotus suspension, Toyota powerplant (hopefully the oil issue is resolved, Toyotas are normally bulletproof). I will not sell the Cobra, but if I could afford one of those as a track car, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Steve

·
Charter Member
114 Posts
After about 600 miles on my car, I am still sorting it out. I would describe my steering with the same comments as C&D to date. I am suspecting the alignment shop was not careful enough with the ride height spec. I have adjusted my ride height once and need to do it again as the the springs have settled some more. On smooth roads its fine, in northern NH those are hard to find. Since this problem hasn't been addressed before I believe the test car and mine are suffering a similiar problem. Also my car does not have a rag joint, it seems it would be good to have one to cut down steering wheel shake in bumps.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,177 Posts
I didn't read the issue,But it sounds like C&D is comparing flintlock pistols to Laser pistols.In other words the lotus is a street car and the FFR is a race car with a plate screwed to the trunk lid.In the FFR DVD it is said that the FFR is a race car and that quote is not in the spec racer part of the DVD.You want a Cadillac ride??Buy a cadillac LOL.Want "Eye Ball Sucking Performance"? Buy and Build an FFR.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interesting responses to this post. I did not mean to trash C&D, just this one article. DEAD LAST in their comparison but first in EVERY performance category. Beaten by a MIATA. The Miata is so weak it couldn't pull a greasy string out of a cat's..... uh, claws. And the crowd appeal???? I took my FFR out for a spin to Glen Onoko Falls just outside of Jim Thorpe, Pa. and was surrounded, literally surrounded by about 15 YOUNG people, wanted to see the motor, had all kinds of questions, wanted to RACE. The FFR version of the Cobra is awesome in looks and performance. This article just irritated the blue blazes out of me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.