Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

well i woke up for a day of "plug and chug" building and hit a snag.

the water neck nipple is for 3/4" hose, and the water pump is for 5/8" hose.

i discovered that the nipple on the water neck screws out. (it was loose, so i suppose this problem was a blessing.)

i can't find another nipple with STRAIGHT threads. 1/2 NPT doesn't fit.

what do i do:

1. use a 3/4" hose for the bypass and secure it on the 5/8" water pump nipple (the water pump nipple is really long)
2. keep looking for a 5/8" nipple with straight threads
3. somehow jam the 5/8" hose on the 3/4" nipple
4. find a short, molded hose that is 3/4" one side and 5/8" on the other
5. give up, and get a painted Superformance with turnkey crate engine

·
Been There, Broke That
1,573 Posts
Eddie, first, the chrome FMS outlets are notorious for leaking at the bypass fitting, so be sure to tighten it down real good.

Regarding the hose, why cant you simply use the OEM bypass hose that is made for this purpose??--it has the right sizes on each end for the outlet and water pump.

Take care.

Tom

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
The bypass hose is coincidentally 3/4" on one end and 1/2" on the other end. It is made to fit this way.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,384 Posts
yes, there is a hose just for that...it's called a heater bypass hose.

go to Kragen auto, autozone, pepboys should all have it.

i just bought one from Kragen...was under 6 bucks.

the better question is, how do you get it on once the thermostat housing is on?

don't even consider option #5

·
Registered
11,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kragen didn't have it, nor did autozone or pepboys

the ford dealer did, $10.32 with tax

thanks guys

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie:
kragen didn't have it, nor did autozone or pepboys
I'd be willing to bet that they all had it... It's just that the folks behind the counter are typically too stupid to find it... Thank god the dealerships still hire real car people to work the counter.

·
Senior Charter Member
574 Posts
Eddie, it's about the FMS t-stat do yourself a BIG favor and before you put in the coolant and install the t-stat:

1- File or grind off the chrome on the back (mounting side) for a better seal..

2- I used two gaskets and rtv on every facing

3- JB weld was the final answer to the leak that kept appearing on the sensor (top) plug.

Do a search and you will find we both (as did a lot of guys) picked out a pretty but dysfunctional accessory.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,096 Posts
I posted a part number here about 2 years ago. You might try doing a search and maybe it will pop up. Or just go to a good parts store and tell the counterman your problem. There is a straight hose that is 3/4 x 5/8"

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,315 Posts
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie:
1. use a 3/4" hose for the bypass and secure it.....
5. give up, and get a painted Superformance with turnkey crate engine
Nice Guy -- I love the inclusion of #5 here. Too funny !

On a more serious (but equally unhelpful) note I'd love to know the part number of that bypass hose -- I'm going to need to install one in the next few days on my engine.

Oh - and does anyone know what bolt size is required to mount up the thermostat housing ? I got a new OEM piece, but it didn't come with the bolts :( I'll be going by the local Spae-Naur on the way to the shop tomorrow, though...

- Brian

ps Quentin rules !

·
Senior Charter Member
618 Posts
I think this is the NAPA part #7447 it is listed on my receipt as NBH Bypass and cost 5.95, it is a short 90* hose that runs from the pump to the themostat housing. I had to cut mine shorter by an inch or so on one end, it now fits like a glove.

Hope this helps
Cody

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Breeze #70502 Bypass Hose Kit, Breeze #70536 Thermostat Housing Bolt Kit. To answer the question, the bypass hose is Gates #20662, it is available from any auto parts store.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts