well i woke up for a day of "plug and chug" building and hit a snag.
the water neck nipple is for 3/4" hose, and the water pump is for 5/8" hose.
i discovered that the nipple on the water neck screws out. (it was loose, so i suppose this problem was a blessing.)
i can't find another nipple with STRAIGHT threads. 1/2 NPT doesn't fit.
what do i do:
1. use a 3/4" hose for the bypass and secure it on the 5/8" water pump nipple (the water pump nipple is really long)
2. keep looking for a 5/8" nipple with straight threads
3. somehow jam the 5/8" hose on the 3/4" nipple
4. find a short, molded hose that is 3/4" one side and 5/8" on the other
5. give up, and get a painted Superformance with turnkey crate engine